How to succeed freshman year

Home Big Grid - Home How to succeed freshman year
How to succeed freshman year
Students visit with each other as they walk near Central Hall. | Facebook

Freshmen face many challenges. For some, it’s their first time away from the family compound. For others, it’s learning that Tide Pods aren’t just for eating. Most have questions: “What should I major in?” “How much should I study?” “Why is my voice changing?” To answer these questions and more, I have compiled this collection of wisdom gleaned from my three years as a Hillsdale freshman. 

What should I major in?

After deciding who you’ll marry, what you major in is the biggest decision you’ll make at Hillsdale. As a student, you are encouraged to major in a field that interests you. If you enjoy numbers, major in math. If you enjoy being poor, philosophy is for you. 

How do I let my professors know how smart I am?

Ask tons of questions, put Curious George to shame. But bear in mind that the whole purpose of asking questions is to show your professor how much your intellect exceeds that of the troglodytes in your class, and asking a question means there’s something your professor can teach you (preposterous!). So your “questions” should really be statements, long-winded and rambly if possible. This technique, much like oil painting, is an art form that can be mastered. Its “Mona Lisa” is the CCA Q&A session. 

How much should I study?

A good rule of thumb is to study two hours for every one hour spent in class. This is good advice, but do note that our classes are 50 minutes long. Also note that 50 is less than 60. I’ll bet you feel pretty stupid about having ever studied. 

How do I make friends?

Making friends is hard — just ask anyone on a deserted island. Fortunately, there are a few nifty tricks to help reduce the requisite difficulty in acquiring new school chums. One quick way to get acquainted with someone is to discuss music. This serves to break the ice and see how you get along. I use this technique all the time. If I meet someone and their favorite song isn’t Kidz Bop “WAP (Waffles and Pancakes),” I will never acknowledge their existence again. 

Where can I get help for my classes?

One of the many academic resources available to students is Sigma Chi keg night. Another lesser-known resource is the Writing Center. The Writing Center is here to help you write more gooder. Tutors can assist you with any kind of paper, whether it be a history paper, English paper, or toilet paper. To help former public-school students, Hillsdale also has a Reading Center. 

Hopefully these tips will help you crush your freshman year. If everyone in the class of 2025 follows my advice to the letter, this year’s “best and brightest” freshman class just might live up to the hype. 

Nick Treglia is a junior studying history and applied mathematics — because he wants a job after graduation.