“The Founding” to lead music workshop at the Dawn Theater

“The Founding” will lead the music workshop at the Dawn Theater. Courtesy | Facebook

Irish folk band “The Founding” will teach a music workshop at the Dawn Theater from 3 to 6 p.m on March 16.

“It’s a great opportunity for students of all ages to be exposed to Celtic music,” said Gianna Green, general manager of the Dawn Theater. “The band has arranged for three different levels of workshops so no matter what level you are, or if you want to try it out, we’ve got something for everyone.”

“The Founding” is a group of classically-trained musicians who perform Irish-inspired music on stages nationwide.

“With their timeless, powerful approach to songwriting and unique instrumentation, they strive to balance tradition and innovation as they bring new music to life,” the band’s website says.

According to Mary Wolfram, an organizer of the event, “The Founding” will provide a fun and educational experience for Hillsdale musicians.

“They have spent extensive time studying and learning the technique and style of Irish music, both directly from great traditional players and by studying recordings and manuscripts,” Wolfram said. “They work to further the Celtic tradition with modern songwriting while preserving the technique and style of the genre.”

Wolfram said she contacted “The Founding” about hosting a strings workshop after seeing them in concert.

“I’m a big Irish music fan, so I follow a lot of Irish music bands and events,” Wolfram said. “I had seen ‘The Founding’ advertised in concert at other venues, so my husband and I went to see them last year.”

The Young String Players Workshop is open free of charge to students of all ages who play the violin/fiddle, guitar, viola, cello, bass, flute, and mandolin. Attendees will be split into groups depending on skill level.

According to Wolfram, participants will learn both tunes and technique from Irish music.

Those who attend the event will learn about jig rhythm patterns, tune structure, and the genre of Irish music,” Wolfram said. “They will learn basic melody parts, ornamentation, and harmony for up to three Irish tunes, depending on skill level.”

Attendees will be invited to perform what they have learned during “The Founding’s” concert at 7:30 p.m that evening.

According to Green, this workshop will enrich the Hillsdale music scene.

“Hillsdale has a lot of great music educators from a wide variety of musical disciplines, but I do think we’re bringing something unique and different to the area by providing an opportunity to learn and explore Celtic music and its background,” Green said.

This workshop is supported by the Arts Midwest GIG Fund, a program of Arts Midwest that is supported by the National Endowment for the Arts, with additional contributions from The Pediatric Place, Century 21 Affiliated, First Presbyterian Church of Hillsdale and the Hillsdale County School of the Arts.