SAB brings a nighttime twist to spring Makers Market

The Student Activities Board added a new spin to the Makers Market by changing the time, day, and atmosphere to send the expiring academic week out with a bang.

“I pretty much stole the idea from a game called Stardew Valley, which is a farming and community game. In the game, there is a market every year in the ocean area, and it’s called the Midnight Market,” SAB events team lead and junior Josiah Jagoda said.

The aesthetics in the game were what inspired the setup for the Midnight Market in the Hoynak room, Jagoda said.

The Midnight Market was at a time that allowed students without other Friday night plans to get involved with campus culture.

“I was just hanging out in my dorm, and I figured I’d check out what they had,” junior Gavin Listro said. “My friend is selling CDs, which is really awesome.”

Listro said he thought the timing of the Midnight Market was useful for students’ schedules.

“I like the midnight ambiance, and how dark it is,” Listro said. “It’s better because Makers Market is usually too early, and you don’t want to get up.”

The event drew enough students that vendors were running out of their inventory, according to Jagoda.

“There’s a lot going on tonight, but so many more people are here than I thought would come,” Jagoda said. 

Sophomore Hannah Tully made sourdough chocolate croissants and coffee brownies for the market. She said she enjoyed the darker atmosphere and the later time.

“I really like the decorations, and I love the ambiance of the blue room and all the lights,” Tully said.

Tully said baking for the Midnight Market was a good break from studying.

“It was mostly a way to stress-bake, because I had a lot of exams this week, so it was really fun to make something enjoyable, and to be able to share it with people,” Tully said.