Football announces new recruiting class

The Hillsdale College football team has recruited three transfer players, including a quarterback, to add to its Team 132 recruiting class. 

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Cole Canter, sophomore offensive lineman Hudson Jones, and sophomore defensive back Jonah Jensen arrived on Hillsdale’s campus for the spring term and are already practicing with the team. They will play their first games for the Chargers in the fall. 

“I thought the football staff did an excellent job identifying and recruiting a class full of great student-athletes,” said football head coach Nate Shreffler. “I can honestly say that I am thrilled with this recruiting class.”

After taking snaps at Wayne State University, Canter hit the transfer portal. 

“I was looking for a place that would give me an opportunity to come in and compete,” Canter said. 

Throughout the recruiting process, Canter said he thought things went smoothly despite him being a transfer. “I am extremely excited to build relationships with my teammates and coaches and bring a G-MAC championship back to Hillsdale.” 

Shreffler said beyond athletics, the new transfers fit well with the college.

“Our recruiting process gives the prospects time to learn about Hillsdale, our program, and our coaches so they can figure out if we are a good fit for them as well,” Shreffler said. 

Jones transferred from Western Carolina, a Division I school. He said many schools tried to recruit him.

“When I hit the portal I got a lot of attention but I had applied to Hillsdale ahead of time and the interest for me to play here was mutual,” Jones said. “I had quite a few good options but Hillsdale was just different.” 

Jones said he thinks the football team will be a much better fit for him. Off the field, he loves the values Hillsdale stands for in its academics. 

“The college is academically prestigious and they don’t have a problem teaching the truth,” Jones said. “I prioritized that in my choice.” 

Jones hopes to be successful on the gridiron and in the classroom in his time here. He said he wants to bring a championship to the Chargers and later pursue his dream of attending law school.

Jensen transferred from The Air Force Academy where he played defensive back, according to 24/7 Sports.   

Shreffler said the transfers will make a huge impact on their culture.

“Each one of our 2024 committed student-athletes fits our culture, both on and off the field,” Shreffler said. “They are outstanding additions to Team 132.”