Finding God in song: students start weekly hymn singing club

The performance halls and practice rooms are empty and Howard Music Hall is silent on Sunday nights — except for room 220. That’s where the Hymn Singing Club meets from 7-9 p.m. 

The Hymn Singing Club, which became official this semester, seeks to encourage students through the study and singing of hymns, which achieved official club status this semester, seeks to encourage students through the study and singing of hymns, according to sophomore Stephen Zhu, president of the club.

“It’s easy to see hymns as nice poetry and music that you sing  in church every Sunday because that’s just what you always do,” Zhu said. “But good hymns are full of biblical truths, and we can learn a lot about God and ourselves.”

The club met informally last year, said sophomore Ellia He, the club’s treasurer. The founding members held a shared love of hymns and began singing throughout the semester and into summer session, she said. 

“We want to get the word of God into your heart through as many avenues as possible,” he said. “We get truths and goodness from studying, but the beauty of music is a completely different avenue that touches your heart in a more direct way.”

Sophomore Hannah Wong, the club’s vice president, said learning the scriptural roots of hymns adds intentionality to the members’ singing. 

“It’s the same way you read old books — it’s tried and true, it’s timeless,” Wong said. “People have sung about this for ages, and it’s been shown to be good.”

Members study a hymn at every meeting, discussing its history and composer, according to Zhu. They also learn new hymns and practice choral pieces to perform on campus. 

“Sometimes we’ll just flip through the hymnal and find some hymns we don’t know. We’ll look at the lyrics and see if they’re good,” Zhu said. “If we like it, then we’ll just learn it.”

The club performed Christmas carols last semester and sang in the Knorr Dining Hall on Ash Wednesday this semester. Zhu said he hopes to perform at Hillsdale Hospital and senior housing centers where people likely grew up with traditional hymns.

Sophomore Madeline Blake, one of the club’s founding members, said hymns guide and shape thoughts and emotions. 

“I come away encouraged and happier,”  Blake said. “I’m thinking about ways I can continue praising God in life and having that underlying joyful heart.”

Wong said hymns place scripture habitually in her mind. 

“It’s a helpful reminder because oftentimes hymns talk of scripture or sets your mind on God,” Wong said. “The richness of the content of hymns is really amazing.”

Members of the Hymn Club see themselves as implementing Christian community.

“We come to sing together,” he said. “In Heaven, that’s the one thing we’ll be doing for sure. Why aren’t we practicing that now?”