Experience the pearl of Africa

Experience the pearl of Africa

Sign-ups are still open for a two-week internship in Uganda through Hillsdale College this summer. 

Students will travel with Associate Dean of Men Jeffrey “Chief” Rogers July 15-29 to assist a small fishing village and help on microfinancing, library promotion, and school projects. 

Rogers traveled to Uganda last year after Joy Ngobi, the mother of Jacob Ngobi ’22, inquired about scholarship opportunities for Ugandan students. 

“Joy asked us if we could make a scholarship fund for Ugandan students—similar to our program in Kenya where we sponsor a student,” Rogers said. “I decided to travel there and look at the schools and see if they meet the rigor and standard that Hillsdale expects.”

While there, Rogers said he enjoyed connecting with the community but also saw the poverty they were living in.

“Winston Churchill describes the country of Uganda as the pearl of Africa,” Rogers said. “But I think the real pearl was the people and it was amazing to see how they lived and the excitement they still had.” 

Rogers said there are a variety of ways to assist on the trip.

“The village wants to evolve into a community bank. They could definitely use our help in brainstorming for that,” Rogers said. “We also will help advise on and promote the new library as well as engage with the students through playing sports and teaching them how to read.” 

According to Rogers, these projects will provide students with an overseas opportunity to see different business development and problem-solving methods. Aside from meeting their physical needs, Rogers said the main purpose of the trip is to share the gospel. 

“We are going to share the love of Christ with the people and help the people in that country the best we can,” Rogers said. “All you need is Jesus and we want to share that with the people in Uganda.” 

Freshman Cole Sutherland signed up for the trip and said he is looking forward to being involved in this opportunity for ministry.

“I have always wanted to go to Africa and know some great people in Uganda,” Sutherland said. “It’s an awesome opportunity to experience a different culture, leave a good mark on the community, and spread the Gospel.”

The trip costs $1,600, which includes travel expenses. Students will be responsible for passport, visa, and immunization requirements. If interested, reach out to Rogers for additional information.