Mock trial finishes season as second-best program in nation

The Hillsdale College Mock Trial Team A came in second at its national championship tournament last weekend, after finishing first in its division.

It fell in the final round to the University of Virginia, which won the championship at the American Mock Trial Association National Championship Tournament in Chicago. 

Before the final round, Hillsdale defeated the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, with a score of 2-1 in the first round, then swept 3-0 victories against the University of Texas, Dallas, and Macalester College before splitting ballots 1.5-1.5 with the University of Georgia, according to junior Abby Davis. 

The tournament included 48 teams from across the United States. They were randomly divided into two divisions, and the winners of each division competed in a final round for the national championship, according to junior Abigail Wagner.

“It was so surreal to get to compete in the final because that round is such a crazy dream for me and for almost anyone who competes in AMTA,” Davis said. “It was so thrilling, and it almost didn’t feel real to compete in it. This entire semester our team has bonded over chasing this really ambitious and out-there goal, and I still can’t believe we got there.”

Davis, who won two All-American Individual Awards at the tournament, said the final round was the cleanest round of mock trial that Hillsdale had in the entire tournament.

Justin Lee, a senior and team captain, said he never expected the chance to compete in the national finals when he first joined the mock trial team his freshman year.

“None of it actually hit me until probably the day we were driving back,” Lee said. “It really was just like, best of all case scenarios, wildest dreams. I really couldn’t have asked for anything better for a final tournament for the year.”

This is only the third year Hillsdale has competed in the National Championship Tournament, according to Davis. Caleb Sampson, a senior and team captain, said the team’s goal was to compete in the final which Hillsdale did not qualify for last year when they placed second in the division. 

“To be that close, and to come up short, was what drove us to compete even harder throughout this entire season,” Sampson said. “So to make it to the final this year, to have that experience, was absolutely everything we had aimed for, and it was a blessing to compete in that final round.”

Jonathan Church, the head coach for the Hillsdale Mock Trial team, said the team’s success this year is the result of several years of preparation.

“The work they put in is absolutely immense, and it started really three years ago, where they got their first break to the national championship,” Church said. 

The team consists of seniors Sampson, Lee, Konrad Vorbaarshott, and Curtis Herbert; juniors Davis, Wagner, and Njomeza Pema; and sophomore Patrick McDonald. According to Church, the team has gotten successively better at preparing an entirely new case for the national tournament in the short time between the Opening Round Championship Series and the National Championship Tournament each time they have qualified. 

“Frankly, a lot of it just comes down to: Are you willing to sit in the seat and do the work that you know you need to do to get that short prep done?” Church said. “So I would say that the nationals run really started three years ago with a decision by the people I’ve mentioned to say ‘I want to do a pile of work.’” 

Each member of the Hillsdale Mock Trial team won All-American Individual Awards at the tournament by qualifying for the final round, according to Davis. Additionally, McDonald and Wagner received All-American Witness Awards and Davis received an All-American Attorney Award for their outstanding performance in earlier rounds of the tournament. 

“All three are excellent competitors,” Sampson said. “They did an excellent job this weekend, and we would not have made it to the final without them.”

Davis was a powerful anchor for the defense throughout the tournament, Sampson said.

“I think Abby Davis’ closing arguments were really, really excellent — some of the best closing arguments I’ve ever seen her give in the last three years I’ve competed with her,” Lee said.

McDonald put on excellent witness performances throughout the tournament, according to Sampson.

“His signature Boston accent and characteristic smirk on the witness stand was something that charmed judges in both of the rounds he competed in,” Sampson said.

Church pointed out McDonald’s diligence and preparation. 

“Patrick — he’s a wild man,” Church said “I’ve never seen anybody take more notes before a round. I’ve never seen them organize material the way he does.”

According to Sampson, one of the highlights of the tournament occurred when the team gathered together to pray at the end of the fourth round, which the team does at every tournament they compete in.

“At this prayer circle, after our fourth round of Nationals, it was pretty emotional,” Sampson said. “We didn’t know if we would make it to the final round. We thought it could have been our last moments together at a mock trial tournament. And the sense at that prayer circle was just a sense of gratitude because for the last four years of my life, mock trial has been what I’ve done and these people have been my community. And the opportunity to thank God for that was special.” 

Wagner said this year’s team A, which is officially numbered 1038 and nicknamed “the Great ’38” is very close knit.

“I’m sure everyone on ’38 will say this, but I think the team got where we got because everybody treats it as a family,” Wagner said. “And it wasn’t something that we wanted to do because we needed to all personally be national champions — everybody was doing it for the person they were looking at, not for themselves.”

Pema said she will miss the team and its graduating seniors next year.

“I’ve been on a team with them since I was a freshman, and they’re some of my best friends,” Pema said. “I’m going to be really sad to let them go and not have this particular iteration of the team again.” 

According to Church and Wagner, family, alumni, and members of the B and C teams all came to support the Great ’38 at the tournament. 

“The support from the entire community was a really incredible part of this weekend,” Wagner said. “It’s not like it doesn’t always exist, but when you do something like go to a national final it’s something you feel and see a lot more.”

Davis said team manager junior Natalie LeBlanc was extremely helpful as she took care of logistics, filming, and other necessities for the team.

“Natalie LeBlanc is amazing,” Davis said. “Even though she didn’t compete, she was so, so important to it happening this year.” 

Sampson thanked the team coaches for their dedication as well. 

“Our coaches, John Church, Lindsay Church, and Sophie Belloncle, are truly fantastic mentors and guides,” Sampson said.

Church was quick to acknowledge the critical role that the assistant coaches play in helping the team succeed.

“Our assistant coaches, Lindsey Church, my wife, and then Sophie Belloncle, one of our alums – they volunteer hundreds of hours to make what we do possible,” Church said. “We wouldn’t go to the heights we do without our assistant coaches.”

Sampson said he felt blessed to have been able to compete and honored to have captained the team this year.

“I’m grateful for the whole opportunity, and I’m grateful for what we were able to accomplish,” Sampson said.