Community and college to host 5th annual Day of Service next month

The Hillsdale College GOAL program is partnering with The Hillsdale County Community Foundation to host its 5th annual Day of Service on April 6.

College students, local families, and alumni will work together on a number of different service projects throughout the community.

“We have gathered about 30 different service projects to complete this year and we are hoping to recruit about 500 volunteers,” said senior Mary Ann Powers, director of the GOAL program.

The Day of Service has become a critical part of Hillsdale’s culture since it was first started in 2019.

“Day of Service is an incredible opportunity for the college and the wider Hillsdale community to unite in celebrating our community through serving the needs of our community members and beautifying our town,” Powers said.

The 1844 Society is also working with the Day of Service, though in a more informal capacity than in past years.

“HCCF is helping with the vast majority of it this year, so 1844 is more trying to help promote it as Day of Service is particularly aligned with our core pillar of service,” said Braden VanDyke, associate director of Alumni Relations.

The 1844 Society has invited college alumni in the area to join in the Day of Service working in teams with their former Greek houses, dorms, or athletic teams.

“This year we’re hoping to integrate them with teams that match their affinity when they were at Hillsdale,” VanDyke said. “Someday we hope to host a concurrent Day of Service with our alumni chapters around the country.”

The Day of Service will start with check-in at 9 a.m. in the Searle Center. After check-in, teams will disperse to their various project sites.

“At 12:30 p.m. everyone will return to Searle for a celebratory lunch with pizza and sandwiches catered from several local favorites including Handmade, Filling Station, Main Street Pizza, Hungry Howies, and Cottage Inn,” Powers said.

This year, the projects will include everything from yard work for community members to painting a mural on the side of the Hillsdale Brewing Co. 

Powers said she is especially thankful for the partnership with HCCF this year.

“Partnering with HCCF has been wonderful for promoting Day of Service to the wider Hillsdale community,” Powers said. “They have done a phenomenal job building the energy this year with their marketing campaign on their website, social media, and the local radio station.”

Sharon Bisher, CEO of HCCF, said the foundation is excited to both help fund the Day of Service, but also have volunteers from the broader community working on a few of the teams.

“We are also putting together two teams to do some work in the community and are encouraging other people in our community,” Bisher said. “We love to be visible in the community, helping our community, but also promoting all the great work that Hillsdale College and their GOAL programs are doing.”

Powers said that Day of Service is an important reminder for Hillsdale students.

“At the college we have the wonderful privilege and opportunity to spend our time reading, discussing, and contemplating the good life,” she said. “Day of Service and the GOAL volunteering programs ground us and remind us of our calling to not just read about the good life but live it by loving and serving our fellow man.”