Ava Ramuni: the newest Olds mom

Ava Ramuni:  the newest Olds mom

When freshmen women flooded into the Olds Residence parking lot in August, many new faces greeted them. Among them was Ava Ramuni. Ramuni, or as the women of Olds call her, Mama A, began her first year as Olds house director this fall. 

Ellenor Scarbrough, a transfer freshman, said Ramuni has been a great help, especially at the beginning of this semester. 

“I haven’t known Mama A for a long time, but in early February when I got really sick, she was the sweetest and checked in on me to make sure I was OK,” Scarbrough said. “She also brought me warm soup and a hot water bottle.”

Making Olds a home, Ramuni cooks in the kitchen and shares samples with the residents. When not cooking, she works on various craft projects.  For Christmas, she made nearly 80 cross bookmarks with a message on each one for every Olds resident.

During fall break, when most students were home for the weekend, Ramuni provided popcorn treat bags and charcuterie for the residents who stayed on campus.  

“Being a Christian, I hope that in whatever way I can be God’s arms extended — that is my desire,” Ramuni said, “Just being a servant to me is rewarding enough, and I have that kind of heart. Whether it’s putting a thermometer in their mouth when they’re sick, giving them some tylenol, taking them to the clinic or the hospital, feeding them, cooking them something, that’s just who I am.”

Olyvia Oeverman, sophomore and resident assistant in Olds, said Ramuni has had an impact on the dorm community.  

“Her life is so different from ours at Hillsdale,” Oeverman said. “She patiently waits until we need her, and is always ready and willing to help. I love her willingness to serve, and that is something we can gloss over as college students.”

Originally born near Detroit, Ramuni has always been connected to the Hillsdale area.

“I started out in Hillsdale in 1996 and lived here outside of town a little ways. I worked with Dr. Robert Schafer at Baw Beese Orthopedic Sports Medicine until the practice moved on,” Ramuni said. “Once I lost the job, I decided to visit relatives in Tennessee for a while, but felt very comfortable there and stayed nearly 20 years.” 

During her time in Tennessee, Ramuni suffered the loss of immediate family members, leading her back to the Midwest. 

“So having just one sister left of my immediate family, and my son and two grandsons living in Fort Wayne, Indiana, through much prayer and seeking God, I asked him to direct my steps and give me an open door,” Ramuni said, “And I believe that’s exactly what he did here at Hillsdale College.”

Through Debbie Showler, the house director for Pi Beta Phi sorority, Ramuni connected with the Olds Residence house director last spring. 

“I have known Ava for over 20 years.  Her sister is a good friend of mine. If you go visit Ava, you will most likely leave with a homemade treat or craft that Ava has made,” Showler said. “I knew that Ava would be a natural in the role of house mom.”

Desiring to be near her family, Ramuni said she was waiting for a door like this to direct her back to the Midwest.

“I believe nothing happens by accident. I think that God allows you to come in contact with people through people,” Ramuni said.

Ramuni said she was unsure of her ability to succeed in the role. Having lived alone for 20 years, she questioned how she would adjust to living with such a large number of women under the same roof.

“Even though I was unsure of myself and didn’t know what I was facing, I just felt peace, confirming to my soul and spirit that I was where I needed to be,” she said.

Oeverman said Ramuni has carried her posture of peace into Olds. 

“She slows life down and finds so much joy in the little things, especially in serving others,” Oeverman said. 

Ramuni said she would love to serve as house director for as long as she can.

Ramuni’s advice for young people is to follow Proverbs 4:23. 

“This is my quote to all young people on campus, boys, girls, it doesn’t matter,” Ramuni said. “‘Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.’”