Chargers start strong in singles play against Davenport Sunday

Senior Sean Barstow clinched the win for the Chargers men’s tennis team on Sunday, Feb. 4 after the team’s loss on Saturday against Purdue Northwest. 

“Looking back, I guess there was more pressure than I realized,” Barstow said. “It honestly didn’t feel that different from just playing my normal match. I tried not to think about it too much. But it felt extra good to win that one.”

The Chargers won 4-3 against Davenport University on Sunday this past weekend after losing to Purdue Northwest 4-1 on Saturday. They won doubles on both days, but lost singles on Saturday. They came back on Sunday with wins in singles from freshmen Ellis Klanduch and Henry Hammond. Barstow’s win was the final point they needed to snag the victory over Davenport University. 

Klanduch said senior Daniel Gilbert had been in the middle of his match when he realized Barstow had won it for the Chargers. 

“Dan was playing a match right next to him, and they were midpoint,” Klanduch said. “As soon as he saw Sean win and throw his racquet down, Dan just dropped what he was doing and threw his racquet down and went to Sean, and we all stormed the court.”  

Head coach Keith Turner said this celebration was the best part of Sunday. 

“Day two highlight was Sean winning a tough three set match and watching the guys mob him after he clinched the dual match for us,” Turner said. “The highlight of Day 1 was how well we played in doubles. I can see doubles will be improved from last year.”

Sophomore Aidan Pack and Barstow won their doubles on Saturday 6-3. Senior Tyler Conrad and Klanduch won their doubles match 6-4. Gilbert and Hammond won 6-2 and clinched the doubles win for Saturday. Conrad and Barstow played close matches in singles. Klanduch took his singles to the third set, but ultimately Purdue Northwest took home the win Saturday.

Hammond talked about their mindset for Sunday after Saturday’s loss.

“We kind of just forgot about it and moved on straightaway,” Hammond said. “None of the team was that down because we knew we had to focus up for the next match. I think we all, without saying it, agreed we move on from it. I think we all knew we just needed that win and were very determined to get it.”

On Sunday, Barstow and Pack won doubles 6-4 and Gilbert and Hammond won their doubles match 6-1, giving Hillsdale the point for doubles. Pack lost singles on Sunday in a close three set match. Conrad lost his singles too, but the wins from the freshmen and Barstow gave the Chargers what they needed to defeat Davenport University. 

The Chargers’ next match will be Feb. 10 against Michigan Tech. Barstow has confidence in his team’s ability to keep the winning streak going.

“I feel like we’re in pretty good form right now, so hopeful that it will go well. If we play well we should win,” Barstow said.