Chargers open season with non-conference matches

The Hillsdale College women’s tennis team lost their matches against Eastern Michigan University Jan. 27, Purdue University Northwest Feb. 3, and Davenport University Feb. 4. 

Hillsdale came up short in each match, with scores of 1-6 against the Eagles, 2-4 against Purdue Northwest, and 3-4 against Davenport. 

“We had some incredible matches against Eastern Michigan,” junior Courtney Rittel said. “On paper they were the better team by far, but we held our own and competed so well. The rest of the team battled hard and played well, which is very inspiring for the weeks to come.”

Freshman Ane Dannhauser, who was unable to compete due to an ankle injury, commented on the Purdue Northwest and Davenport match’s intensity and the team’s performance. 

“The team we played this weekend was very competitive and good, but the girls went out and really gave it their all,” she said. “The energy was amazing, and everyone was competing really well. Even though we lost, all of the matches were very close, and I am super happy with how we started the season.” 

In the doubles category, Hillsdale duo senior Melanie Zampardo and sophomore Megan Hackman secured a win with a score of 6-3 against their Eastern Michigan counterparts. Despite this early success, the remaining doubles matches ultimately tipped in favor of the Eagles.

Carrying her momentum into singles play, Zampardo also triumphed in the No.1 singles match against Eastern Michigan, winning with scores of 6-3, 4-6, 10-3. In the No.6 singles, Rittel competed in a closely contested match but eventually lost to her opponent 6-4, 3-6, 1-10.

“We did gain some incredible victories with Melanie and Megan winning their doubles match and Melanie also winning her singles match,” Rittel said.

Eastern Michigan University held its ground in the subsequent singles matches. 

The match against Purdue Northwest had the Chargers fighting in both singles and doubles. In doubles play, Hillsdale managed to secure a victory in the third slot thanks to junior Elizabeth McGivern and senior Helana Formentin, who defeated their Purdue Northwest opponents with a score of 6-3. 

McGivern overcame her Purdue Northwest opponent with scores of 6-3, 6-2. Despite this win, the Chargers were unable to overcome the Purdue Northwest lineup in the remaining singles matches, resulting in a 2-4 loss for Hillsdale.

The following day, Hillsdale faced Davenport in an early morning match that tested the team’s resilience, according to Hackman. Hackman and Zampardo dominated their Davenport opponents 6-1. Formentin and McGivern mirrored this success with the same scoreline. 

“Today against Davenport, although we didn’t come out on top we gave it our best fight and everyone is finding their groove as we get into season,” Hackman said. 

Davenport responded in kind, taking the second doubles match and setting up a series of singles contests. 

The singles matches were marked by a marathon match between freshman Ane Dannhauser and a Davenport player, which saw Dannhauser winning 7-6, 4-6, 7-5. Dannhauser said she was excited she got to play again. 

“There is just something special about practicing all week and then being able to use everything you have worked on in a match,” Dannhauser said. “It’s also amazing to be able to play for a team because everyone is always there supporting and cheering each other on.”

Hackman managed to secure a win against the Panthers as well, balancing out the early loss in the doubles.

Hillsdale concluded both weekends 0-3 against their opponents. 

As the season progresses, these matches will undoubtedly serve as valuable experience for the team, Dannhauser said. The Chargers are poised to face Michigan Tech on Saturday, Feb. 10 in the Biermann Center.

“I am really looking forward to what we can do this season,” Hackman said. “I’m pumped for the matches to come.”

Rittel also shared her thoughts on the rest of the season. 

“The team is super excited for the upcoming season and we hope to accomplish some amazing things,” Rittel said.