Mayor Stockford announces state rep campaign

Adam Stockford is Hillsdale’s mayor. Courtesy | Facebook

Adam Stockford, mayor of the City of Hillsdale, has joined the race for state representative — again.

“My hopes for Lansing are a series of bills restoring authority and autonomy to local township boards, school boards, and city councils,” Stockford said. “I don’t want to go to Lansing to make friends. That’s never been my motivation.”

Stockford, who ran unsuccessfully for the seat in 2020, will run again in this year’s Republican primary for District 35 of the state House of Representatives. The district includes Branch and Hillsdale counties and part of Lenawee County. 

The primary election will take place Aug. 6 and the general election will take place Nov. 5, according to Hillsdale County Chief Deputy Clerk Abe Dane.

“I would not want to run against me,” Stockford said. “Our campaign is organized, we’re working on raising money to be competitive with any special interest that’s thrown up against us, we have support all through the district and across the state, including many friends in Lansing.”

Stockford lost to current state Rep. Andrew Fink, R-Hillsdale, in the 2020 primary by 31.6% to 21.8%, according to the Hillsdale County Clerk’s Office. Fink announced his campaign for Michigan Supreme Court justice in September.

Branch County Commissioner Tom Matthew is running against Stockford in the primary

“I don’t have much to say about him except he’s a nice guy, and I’m a better candidate for the 35th District,” Stockford said. 

Matthew also serves on the board of health for the Branch-Hillsdale-St. Joseph Community Health Agency. He announced his campaign in November, and said he welcomes Stockford to the race.

“Healthy competition is vital for democracy,” Matthew said. “I look forward to seeing him on the campaign trail and trust the people of Branch, Hillsdale, and Lenawee counties to make an informed decision on election day.”

No Democrats have yet filed to run for the seat, according to an online candidate list published by the Michigan Secretary of State’s office. 

Stockford said he is focusing his campaign on self-government, and said he thinks the district’s residents want a strong legislator.

“I believe local officials know their communities best, better than Lansing, and are well equipped to make decisions that affect their constituents’ day-to-day life,” he said.

Stockford thinks many counties have become “extensions of the state government,” he said. 

“Chartered cities, such as Hillsdale, Jonesville, Coldwater, Reading, etc., actually draft their own ordinances, making them more similar to the legislature,” he said. “That experience will give me a leg up on the competition.”

Stockford said he will use his experience as mayor to make energy a focal point of his platform. 

“I want to reverse some of the disastrous green energy mandates coming from the capitol, amongst other things,” he said. “I don’t subscribe to nanny state policies that tell constituents that politicians know better than they do regarding the major decisions that affect their family, their health, and their professions.”

Matthew said discussing disagreements during the campaign is an important part of American government.

“The beauty of our country is that we have the freedom to engage in meaningful debate and fight for our values,” Matthew said. 

Stockford said his main goal would be to reduce the size of the government. 

“My litmus test is simple. Does this legislation give people more freedom? Does this legislation make government smaller,” Stockford said. “If the answer to those two questions is yes, it’s probably good policy. Otherwise, it’s likely more law meant to hamstring the individual.”

Loading