Hillsdale sweeps podium in 400 meter

Hillsdale sweeps podium in 400 meter

Junior Reese Dragovich running at Tiffin University last season. Courtesy | David Beach

The Hillsdale women’s track and field team swept the podium in the 400-meter run and took home four top finishes in the sprint events from its second meet of the season on Jan. 12.

The Chargers traveled to Findlay, Ohio, for the second time this season to battle the University of Findlay Oilers and Ashland University Eagles. Freshman Zoe Burke won the 400 in a time of 1:00.27. Senior Josee Behling took second in 1:01.27, and Sophomore Francesca Federici placed third in 1:01.36. Together with senior Shura Ermakov, the trio won the 4x400m relay in 4:02.81.

Sophomore Lucy Minning won the 60 in 7.95 and the 200 in 26.53. Sophomore Anna Lamoreaux placed second in the 60 in 8.27 and took fourth in the 200 in 27.02. Sophomore Tara Townsend placed third in the 200 in 26.91 seconds.

“We did pretty well, but everyone felt a little slower the first week just because we weren’t training altogether and with coaches,” Minning said.

Ermakov won the 60 hurdles for the Chargers with a personal best time of 9.01, and senior Louisa Klaserner won second in 9.05.

Klaserner also said the team felt slightly disoriented after the winter break.

“It was hard to get that same energy up for the second meet because we’re all getting back from breaks. Everybody’s a little sluggish,” Klaserner said. “I think once we get rolling in the season again, the energy will pick back up. It’s always just a little bit disorienting to come back after a break.”

Junior Katie Clifford placed third in the pole vault, clearing 3.56 m, and junior Erika Mogelvang placed fourth in the high jump clearing 1.52 m. 

The Chargers began their season before Christmas break, competing at Findlay Nov. 30 and Dec. 1.

After a season off, Behling returned with a first-place finish, finishing the 400 in 59.09. Burke started her collegiate career with two track wins, taking first place in the 800 before the break and the 400 after Christmas. Burke won the 800 in 2 minutes and 19.71 seconds. 

“We had really good energy going into our first meet,” Klaserner said. “Everybody was really excited about it.”

Klaserner won first in the 60-meter hurdles in 8.97 and took third in the 200. Minning placed third in the 60 in 7.82 and second in the 200 in 26.10.

“The 60-meter dash went really well for me — I got a PR in the 60s,” Minning said. “I like the first meet of the year because I don’t get particularly nervous about it since we leave so fast afterward.” 

Senior Morgan Iverson said the meet showed the team where to focus its energy.

“It was a really good starting point for all of us. It exposed some soft spots and things to address, but we’ll get into a rhythm here soon and fix all the things that need to be fixed,” Iverson said. “We’ll be ready when conferences come around in February.”

After the first meet, the Chargers went on winter break. 

“Coach Thill sends us weekly training regimens. He would give us five workouts for the week and we would hit whatever workout we can on whatever day works best,” Klaserner said. “We just try to stay in shape and make sure we’re running and doing as much technique as we can.”

As the team looks ahead to it’s third meet, Iverson said she is confident they will master all the “nitty gritty, like super microscopic type of technical things” that will make them a national threat.

“We want a bunch of girls to go to nationals so we can win nationals,” Iverson said.

The Chargers will run at home Jan. 27 at the Hillsdale Wide Track Classic.