Hitting Hillsdale’s Slopes: A student’s guide to the best sledding spots around campus

A Michigan winter plus Hillsdale’s hilly terrain equals opportunities for students to hit the slopes —  sledding slopes, that is. 

I did what many students have done, taking advantage of the several weeks’ worth of snow and went sledding on a variety of hills in the vicinity of campus. Here’s what I found:

Biermann Center Hill: 6/10

Coming in at number three is the half-hidden hill directly in front of the Biermann Center. This hill is insanely steep and provides for a pretty decent sled ride, all things considered. 

It’s easy to gain speed on this one, although it’s difficult to do anything with that speed. While the ending is abrupt, a first-time rider wouldn’t know this and might be intimidated by the possibility of crashing into the Biermann Center. Although the Biermann lurks in the background, the chances of ending the ride by slamming into the building are scarce. 

Following the ride, however, riders are faced with a daunting hill to climb and can be left winded. For an exciting study break, the Biermann Center Hill provides a fun hill in close proximity to campus.

Academy Sign Hill: 8/10

Sitting on the corner of Oak Street and Academy Lane is a classic sledding hill. There is nothing notable about this hill, but it provides a smooth and speedy ride. It takes a second to get started, but once riders are set in motion, they fly down the hill and spray snow everywhere. 

Although the hill itself is a great ride, the ending can be anticlimactic. The hill provides so much speed that riders may get lost in the thrill of the ride and neglect to notice the fast-approaching chain-link fence. For more adventurous riders, however, avoiding the fence might provide an adrenaline rush. When riding the Academy Sign hill, be ready to bail at any moment to avoid a fence collision. 

Hayden Park Hill: 12/10

A new addition to campus with the construction of the track and field complex is the Hayden Park hill. Two hills joined by a brief plateau provide the best sledding Hillsdale’s campus has to offer. 

The parking lot at the base of the hill allows for riders to coast for longer without fear of crashing into anything – except for a couple of light posts a ways off. The only downside to the Hayden Park hill is its distance from campus, but it’s worth the trek. For students looking for a thrilling midnight adventure, the Hayden Park hill promises a memorable sledding experience. 

While this is not a comprehensive list of Hillsdale’s sledding spots, it is three of campus’ best. The next time Hillsdale gets a big snow, grab a sled and hit the slopes.