Pregnancy resource center expands its hours

Helping Hands will now be open on Wednesday included in their new hours of operation. Courtesy | Facebook 

Hillsdale’s only pregnancy resource center has expanded its hours of operation.

“There is great need for material support, relational encouragement, and generally life-affirming resources in Hillsdale County,” said Bryce Asberg ’21, executive director of Helping Hands Pregnancy Resource Center. “By God’s grace, we have the staff, volunteers, and funding necessary to open up additional hours.”

The center offers free pregnancy tests, consultations, and ultrasounds.

Helping Hands is now open on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. On Fridays, the clinic is open by appointment.

Emelie Randell, office coordinator at Helping Hands, said the decision is about increasing overall accessibility. 

“Our main goal was to align our hours with the needs of our clients,” Randell said. “We had noticed that clients were requesting appointments on Wednesdays so we decided to make the switch.”

This change was preceded by the addition of ultrasound services in 2022 which were aimed at reshaping the center’s impact. 

“We now have the ability to provide a picture of the life growing in the womb, which is truly a game-changer for the moms that we serve,” Asberg said about the center’s new licensed sonographers, supervised by their medical director.

Already this year, Helping Hands has assisted 137 clients, distributing 8,781 diapers and 3,838 baby clothes — the result of steadfast support from the Hillsdale community, Asberg said.  

As a nonprofit, Helping Hands relies on donations from individuals, churches, and organizations, notably including the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, among others.

“This community is incredibly generous to support us in our efforts to serve women and families of Hillsdale County,” Asberg said. “As a private nonprofit we rely entirely on donations to keep our doors open. Hundreds of individuals and organizations across this county give monetary gifts and material donations or support with their time and prayers.” 

Helping Hands also engages with its clients and volunteers through surveys designed to enhance services and training programs, according to Randell.

“We will keep innovating and expanding our suite of services to serve more clients more effectively and to continue providing life-affirming services to Hillsdale County,” Asberg said.

Loading