Chargers win fourth straight game, crush Cavaliers

Junior running back Kyle Riffel scored a touchdown against the Walsh University Cavaliers. Courtesy | Isabella Sheehan

After starting the season with only one win in their first six games, the Hillsdale Charger football team has found its stride. 

The Chargers extended their winning streak to four games, defeating the Walsh University Cavaliers 28-3 on Walsh’s home field in North Canton, Ohio on Nov. 4. Four straight conference victories propelled Hillsdale to an even 5 -5 record overall. With one game left on the schedule, , the Chargers have a chance to secure their seventh winning season in eight years. 

Hillsdale put up 356 rushing yards, making it the third game that the Chargers have run for more than 300 yards. 

Senior running back Michael Herzog proved once again why he’s a top offensive player in the G-MAC. His 156 total rushing yards on 20 attempts lifted him to eighth all-time on the Charger single-season rushing list, with 1,158 rushing yards so far this season. Herzog surpassed 2,000 career rushing yards during Saturday’s win, remaining the G-MAC leader in rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, and all-purpose yards. 

“This season is going to be one to remember. After starting 0-4 and being able to turn that into 5-5 is pretty remarkable,” Herzog said. “The leaders on this team have done such a great job keeping the energy positive throughout the entire season, and the younger guys have been feeding off of it no doubt. I had no idea I had 2,000 career yards until you just mentioned it, but I’m proud of myself and the guys up front for helping me reach that milestone.”

Senior running back Logan VanEnkevort and freshman wide receiver Shea Ruddy also contributed to the Charger’s dominant running performance. VanEnkevort finished the game with 72 total rushing yards, 68 of them from one play alone, which set up junior running back Kyle Riffel for a one-yard touchdown, giving the Chargers a 14-3 lead in the second quarter. Ruddy finished with 45 total rushing yards, including two rushing touchdowns and two receptions for 21 total receiving yards. 

“It has been great to see the team work so much harder to turn things around and finish strong,” Ruddy said.

Senior quarterback Garrit Aissen contributed to the Charger offensive attack with 130 passing yards, including a 41-yard pass to VanEnkevort late in the fourth quarter, which sealed the victory for Hillsdale. Aissen now has 1,259 passing yards this season. He needs 104 passing yards to beathis single-season best of 1,362 from his 2021 season. 

“It feels awesome. I am just so proud of the entire team. We never quit,” Aissen said. “At 1-5 we totally could have clocked out, but instead we trusted each other and dug deeper. I wish we could have had some of those first games back, however, all we can do is look forward.”

Senior defensive lineman Riley Tolsma had his best game of the season, making seven total tackles, including two tackles-for-loss, one of which was a nine-yard sack. Tolsma now has 42 tackles this season, a new career-best compared to his 40 tackles last season. Redshirt freshman linebacker Jacob Vance continued his breakout season, also making seven tackles, improving to 49 total on the year. Vance made five solo tackles and two assisted tackles. 

The Chargers now have a shot to finish above .500 if they win against the Ohio Dominican University Panthers on Nov. 11 at 1 p.m., during the Chargers’ senior day game.