Manning Street isn’t just for Greeks and athletes

Are you an independent tired of watching a movie with your two friends for the fourth Saturday in a row? Has swing club finally become a drag on your fundie social life? Maybe you feel the need to try out some more gyrational moves instead? 

Fortunately, there is an easily accessible and boundlessly fun solution — Manning Street. This hub for late night shenanigans is just a short jaunt from campus and open to students from all corners of campus. 

As an independent, you may not think you belong at parties thrown by Greeks or athletes, but as a GDI with experience hitting up Manning Street, I can tell you that’s wrong. Even if you didn’t get an invitation to this weekend’s parties, no one is going to stop you from joining in the festivities.

While I admit being surrounded by a group other than your own can be daunting — I for one rarely step foot on the Duplex stoop — by a certain point in the night, everyone becomes your friend.

If you want to speed up the process, bust out your best dance moves and you won’t be dancing alone for long. And if you’re still worried about finding yourself in a corner, just bring a friend along with you. 

No one should allow stigmas or social anxiety to get in the way of a good time. Hillsdale parties — tame by state school metrics — are a safe space to drink responsibly and let loose. Getting wasted is frowned upon, and most students will dance and chat without mindless drinking. Jungle’s spacious backyard is a great place for conversations, Graceland has some of the best live music, and any porch is always a welcoming place to stop by. 

Aside from being more fun than staying in for yet another weekend going out to parties is a great way to heal the cultural divide on campus. Differences between frat and fundie, greek and independent, athlete and NARP — or non athletic regular person –- will always be present. But partying is a great first step in extending the olive branch.

On the part of the independent, it’s an admission that we don’t think all frat bros are halfwit alcoholics. And on the part of said frat bros, welcoming independents — or even fundies — into their homes is an acknowledgment that we are not all complete losers. It takes a bit of humility and goodwill from both sides. 

Of course, the peace offering must extend in reverse as well. Independents should host more parties — ragers or otherwise — which Greeks and athletes should attend. Campus is far too small to be divided and parties, overflowing with social lubricant, are a great place to begin strengthening our community.

Michael Bachman is a senior studying history and Latin.