Late stop propels Chargers over Thomas More

Junior kicker Julian Lee kicks the ball in the Charger’s winning game against Kentucky Wesleyan College two weeks ago. Courtesy | Isabella Sheehan

A late defensive stop on a two-point conversion gave the Hillsdale Charger football team a road victory over the Thomas More University Saints 35-33 Saturday and its third win of the season. The team is 3-1 in its last four games and TK overall. 

“We did a much better job controlling the ball in this game than we have in the past,” senior quarterback Garrit Aissen said. “Especially in the second and third quarters.”

Aissen finished the game with 217 passing yards, completing 17 of his 23 attempts with four touchdowns, tying his career high for touchdowns in one game. His two touchdown passes to Ruddy give the freshman wide receiver four total for the year. Aissen also found sophomore Sam Lee for a 28-yard score before the end of the first half to tie the game once again at 21-21, and then junior Ty Williams on a 9-yard pass, giving Williams his first touchdown this season. 

“We’ve been preparing well as a team these past couple weeks,” Ruddy said. “Our game plans have been great.”

The first half proved to be an even matchup, with the score staying at 21 apiece going into halftime. The Saints scored on a four-yard run to go up 7-0 on their first possession, but Aissen found freshman receiver Shea Ruddy on a 33-yard pass to tie the game at 7-7 on the next drive. The score remained tied going into the second quarter, but Aissen found Ruddy again for a 28-yard score on the first play of the second quarter, giving the Chargers a 14-7 lead. 

Fifth-year senior running back Michael Herzog continued his touchdown streak with a late 1-yard rush to give the Chargers a 35-21 lead in the third quarter. Herzog finished the day with only 75 rushing yards, his first game under 100 since Sept. 23 against the University of Findlay Oilers. 

“We kept our composure throughout the entire game against Thomas More, and we were able to capitalize on deep passes,” Herzog said. 

The Chargers held their 35-21 lead over the Saints for most of the fourth quarter, but a short rush from Saints quarterback Rae’Von Vaden put them within one score with under four minutes left. But junior defensive lineman Hunter Sperling blocked the Saints’ extra point attempt, forcing them to attempt a two point conversion on their next score. Vaden would fumble the ball on the two-point attempt, sealing the victory for the Chargers.

Defensively, sophomore linebacker Jacob Vance continued his incredible season, leading the Chargers with six solo tackles, including a sack to give him his second on the year, as well as a pass breakup. Vance now has 39 total tackles this year, which is the second most by any Charger.

Senior defensive back Sam Zemis also contributed to the Chargers’ defensive effort, catching his second interception of the year late in the first half. Zemis’ two interceptions is the most by a single player on the Chargers this year. 

After starting the season with four straight losses, the Chargers now find themselves at 3-5, with all three wins coming against G-MAC opponents. They look to continue their winning streak  Oct. 28 at home at 2 p.m. against the Lake Erie College Storm who are currently winless in conference play. 

“As for Lake Erie, we just need to play our game and let them make mistakes,” Herzog said. “They tend to make mistakes defensively, and we need to take advantage of that in order to make big plays.”