‘Doggie daycare’ to open later this month

A new doggy daycare in Hillsdale is expected to open this month.
Emma Verrigni | Collegian

A new doggy daycare in Hillsdale is expected to open this month, according to owner Jen Sprunger.

ReTreat Doggie Daycare will be located at 1320 Steamburg Road in Hillsdale, south of town near Baw Beese Lake. The business is owned by Brock and Jen Sprunger, and managed by their daughter, Kennedy Chesney. 

Sprunger said the family decided to open a doggy daycare after taking their dog to one. They noticed their dog seemed happy and cared for at the daycare, inspiring them to open their own business to do the same for other dogs. 

“Our family has a huge love for dogs,” Sprunger said. “Growing up we have always had dogs. We are a busy family and always felt guilty leaving them home all day.” 

The daycare will feature public dog-washing stations. These stations will work for dogs of every size, and will alleviate the trouble of struggling to find a pet supply store that washes dogs. 

In the future, ReTreat also plans to provide dog-boarding services, soon after the business has kicked off.

Senior Anna Grace Russel said that she would like to send her dog to ReTreat to spend time with other dogs, but it will come down to price.

“I’m pretty limited financially because I’m a college student and I’m already paying to have her babysat for several weekends a semester when I travel for the mock trial team,” Russel said. “My dog loves other dogs and she doesn’t get to see them as much since we don’t have a dog park in town, so I would love to send her there.”