Women’s XC Kicks off season with freshman heavy team

Courtesy | Hillsdale College Athletics

The Hillsdale women’s cross country team will launch a promising season Sept. 1, when it travels to Grand Rapids, Michigan, to compete in the Diemer Classic hosted by Calvin University.

Six returning runners welcome six new freshmen to the team. Joining the Chargers for their first collegiate season are Anna Stirton of Alton, Illinois, Eleanor Clark of St. Charles, Illinois, Emilie Santoso of Portland, Oregon, Megan Roberts of Hillsdale, Michigan, Savannah Fraley of Mequon, Wisconsin, and Whitney Wilkinson of Quincy, Michigan.

Junior Kayla Loescher said she is excited to have new faces around.

“I think this will be the biggest challenge we face, as it makes us a pretty inexperienced team overall,” Loescher said. “It’s usually a pretty hard adjustment moving from high school to college running.”

Loescher said there are two teammates in particular who bring favorable odds to the team this season.

“Elizabeth Wamsley is definitely someone to be watching,” Loescher said. “She’s already a multiple-time All-American and looking stronger than ever. Vera Thompson too. She was injured last year but has been working her way back. She looks like she’ll have a solid season.”

Loescher said she suffered multiple injuries last year and looks forward to an injury-free return to running. 

“I’m super excited to get back into racing after dealing with many injuries last winter and spring,” Loescher said.

Loescher said her biggest hope is that the team will go uninjured this season. 

“Although we’re a bigger group than last year, we can’t afford to have several girls out for championship season,” Loescher said.

Loescher said the team is preparing for the season under the guidance of coach R.P. White, whose training philosophy influenced Loescher’s decision to attend Hillsdale College. 

Senior Elizabeth Wamsley said the number of younger girls on the team provides many opportunities for growth and development.

“Having such a young team will be challenging, but also a great chance for the underclassmen to really make the team culture their own,” Wamsley said. “My goal for the season is to get the underclassmen to invest in their teammates and grow in their love of both the sport and their teammates.”

According to Wamsley, the 2023 G-MAC Championships will be the most exciting but most challenging meet.

“There’s a lot at stake since we’ll be competing against our conference rivals,” Wamsley said. “It’s a chance to prove ourselves and to showcase our team’s strength and tenacity.”