Sohn marks newest dorm community on campus

When the college approached donor Kenneth Sohn with the idea of naming a dorm, he knew he had to name it after his wife, Marilyn J. Sohn.

Kenneth and Marilyn Sohn have donated to Hillsdale College since 1996. The college sweethearts have been married for nearly 70 years and are the proud parents of six adult children. Ken continues the family business, Sohn Linen Service, while Marilyn enjoys traveling, country music, and dancing.

“The college’s vision for Sohn was to design an upperclassmen dorm with an assortment of common spaces to provide community,” said Nancy Johnson, associate vice president for institutional advancement. “Ken, like Marilyn, is a steadfast supporter of Hillsdale College, and is delighted to support its students by naming the Marilyn J. Sohn Residence in honor of his wife.”

Sohn Residence, alongside Kirn Residence, colloquially known as New Dorm, will be dedicated on Oct. 3 at 11 a.m.

While Sohn Residence has private bathrooms in each room, and seven single rooms, Johnson says it makes space for community with multiple study spaces, community areas, a full kitchen, and a gym.

“It’s geared for upperclassmen women who want to stay on campus,” Chief Administrative Officer Rich Péwé said. “Also to accommodate the increase of post undergraduate summer visitors who participate in teacher training, various outreach programs, alumni weekend, graduate programs, and shooting competitions.”

Because Sohn is the first dormitory of its kind on campus, head resident assistant and junior Sophia Rome said building fellowship among residents would be an exciting challenge.

“My time as a resident and an RA in Olds taught me the importance of community in a dorm,” Rome said. “My team last year set common goals that we worked towards through the year. These goals united us and directed us to serve the residents. I hope to bring the positive experience I had serving the dorm alongside my Olds teammates to my new role in Sohn.”

Rome emphasized the importance of building relations between hallmates, regardless of housing.

“Even with the more private living spaces, Sohn was intentionally built with a variety of common areas that will help the community flourish,” Rome said. “We see the dorm as a home and hope that the women will open their space to others on campus.”

Loading