Key Opportunities is starting a year-round Makers Market

Local nonprofit group Key Opportunities is launching a new program called Makers Market. 

The event is kicking off on Tuesday, Sept. 5 and will continue year-round, running Mondays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., according to a social media announcement by Mayor Adam Stockford. The store will be located at 400 N. Hillsdale St. 

Key Opportunities’ primary mission is to offer employment experience and retail training for individuals with disabilities. The new Makers Market program will provide local artisans a platform to sell their goods and Key Opportunities participants invaluable work experience. 

According to the Key Opportunities Facebook page, its program participants also have the opportunity to sell products or crafts they create alongside the local vendors.

“It’s important for individuals to come home and feel proud of completing a hard day’s work, regardless of their ability,” said Georgia Mason, program director of Key Opportunities. 

The market currently has 10 vendors total. Mason said she personally selected each vendor by vetting their work from other art shows, social media, and different venues where the artisans displayed their talent. 

In a Facebook post advertising the event, Stockford said he is excited about the opportunities this new market will provide for the community. 

Senior Anna Bassols, an art major, said this program is important to help support local artists.  

“Art is the fundamental human language,” Bassols said. “Local artists create art that is beloved here, in our context and time, and beautifies the world we live in. It makes everything just a bit sweeter. There is purpose in creating and enjoying creation, especially on the most local, intimate levels.”

Local artisans interested in participating in the event should email photos of their products to Georgia Mason at gmason@keyopp.org.