Chargers split games, Russell takes G-MAC award

Sophomore pitcher Joni Russell won her fourth career G-MAC Pitcher of the Week last week. Courtesy | Isabella Sheehan

The Hillsdale softball team split games against both Cedarville University and Walsh University, with sophomore pitcher Joni Russell being named G-MAC Pitcher of the Week. 

The Chargers traveled to Cedarville March 30 and hosted Walsh April 2. 

“All games were pretty close. We won the first one and lost the second one in both games,” head coach Kyle Gross said. “It was a little disappointing that we split with those teams, but we’re working on getting back on track this weekend.”

Russell earned her second G-MAC Pitcher of the Week title of the season and the fourth of her career after throwing during the two winning games.

“I am so grateful for all of the support I’ve received from my family, friends, teammates and coaches,” Russell said. “Every time I pitch, I do it for them.” 

Hillsdale won 2-0 in the first game against Cedarville, with Russell striking out eight batters, giving up three hits, and letting a total of five base runners get on base throughout the game. The Chargers lost the second game 4-2, with junior pitcher Erin Kapteyn having two strikeouts and two walks in six innings. 

With a second consecutive shutout in conference from Russell, Hillsdale won the first game 2-0 against Walsh. In the second game, junior midfielder and leadoff hitter Hailey Holtman had two doubles and two walks. Junior infielder Grace Wallner drove in the only two runs that were scored as well as two outs, two strikes with two people on, and a double that scored two runs.

Gross said the team made a few key mistakes in the games they lost and did not hit well.

“It was just a couple small mistakes that happened to be at critical times that led to the losses,” Gross said.

Russell said the Chargers faced two good teams with great pitching and aggressive hitters. 

“We have been struggling a bit offensively, but I feel all the work and preparation we have put in these last couple days will pay off in our next couple games,” Russell said.

Senior first baseman Jenna Cantalupo said the pitching staff has been throwing the best she’s seen all year, with the Chargers’ record from the past two series not truly reflecting how well the team is working together. 

“Cedarville and Walsh are two competitive teams that always seem to keep our games close,” Cantalupo said. “I am hopeful that we’re on the verge of turning the switch and getting on a winning streak here in the next few series.” 

The Chargers will have a double header against Malone University April 8 and another at Davenport University April 10.