College Baptist hosts “Musical Box of Chocolates”

Gautsche and Wyse performed "A Musical Box of Chocolates" at College Baptist.

Gautsche and Wyse performed “A Musical Box of Chocolates” at College Baptist.

Pianists Debbi Wyse and Kristi Gautsche performed a concert called “A Musical Box of Chocolates” at College Baptist Church on April 14 and 15. 

Wyse’s husband, Ned, accompanied the duo and narrated the program, performing a selection of recitations to introduce each movement. The recital ran from 8-9:30 p.m. and showcased a diverse selection of pieces that followed with the theme of the program. 

Sally Beazley, secretary at College Baptist Church, explained the idea behind the name of the performance. 

“It is an assortment of songs, just like the assortment you get from a box of chocolates,” Beazley said. “It is a huge variety of music, and there is a little something for everyone.”

Wyse said that they settled on the name after noticing the diverse nature of the music they decided on. 

“We picked our music and decided on ‘A Musical Box of Chocolates’ after seeing its variety,” Wyse said. “Then we decided to have a good time and come up with all the different headings for the program.”

Wyse and Gautsche performed pieces ranging from Debussy’s “Petite Suite” and Rachmaninoff’s Suite No. 2, Op. 17, to excerpts from cartoon classics and portions from Saint-Saens’ “Carnival of the Animals.”  The pieces were also introduced with themed titles like “A Chocoholic’s Dream,” “Cartoon Caramels,” or “A Heart-Shaped Box of Passion Fruit Cremes.”

This year marked 38 years of the duo’s friendship, and Gautsche said that they both continue to enjoy their collaboration.

“We enjoy playing with each other, it is fun to just get together and play. Our main aim though is to promote that kind of music” Gautsche said. “We are just so happy to put on a program that people enjoy and that has something for everybody.”

In keeping with the theme of the concert, an assortment of chocolates was provided for the audience to enjoy during the 15-minute intermission. After the intermission, Wyse and Gautsche enlivened the audience by playing excerpts from cartoon classics on toy pianos. 

Beazley said the practices leading up to the performance were greatly enjoyed. 

“I have heard them practice over and over,” she said, “and can say all the people who work at the church have thoroughly enjoyed listening.”

Loading