Hillsdale sweeps Malone, splits with Davenport

Sophomore Joni Russell earned her third G-MAC Pitcher of the Week award on the season. Courtesy | Regan Monnin

The Hillsdale softball team went 3-1 against the Malone University Pioneers at home April 8 and the Davenport University Panthers at Davenport April 10, with sophomore pitcher Joni Russell earning G-MAC Pitcher of the Week for the second week in a row.

Hillsdale beat Malone 4-0 and 3-0 in two games before losing 3-2 and winning 12-6 against Davenport.

“In the first game against Malone, Joni set a school record with 19 strikeouts and became the G-MAC Pitcher of the Week for the second week in a row,” head coach Kyle Gross said.

In the second game against the Pioneers, junior pitcher Erin Kapteyn struck out seven batters, walked one batter, and gave up four hits. 

The Chargers split the doubleheader against the Panthers, a tough regional team according to Kapteyn.  

“I felt really good pitching and was able to produce outs when the team needed it,” Kapteyn said. 

Junior infielder Grace Wallner began the winning nightcap against Davenport with a grand slam. 

“I just love having the chance to do something that helps the whole team out,” Wallner said. “I just really want us to do well this season, and I want to do whatever I can to help get us there.”

All four Hillsdale pitchers took the mound, with Vis starting and Russell, freshman Mackenzi Maxson, and Kapteyn pitching in relief. Russell struck out seven batters, walked two, and gave up two earned runs in her five relief innings. 

Gross said Hillsdale’s offense was good, with home runs being hit by sophomore infielder and utility player Ashley Strick, Wallner, and freshman utility player Maggie Olaveson.

Freshman utility player Maggie Olaveson had a big day against Davenport with her two starts, home run, and two doubles, according to Gross.

“We’ve been working really hard on our offensive approach at the plate and I believe it’s paying off,” Gross said. “We’ve been doing a lot of live stuff at practice, trying to just be comfortable and confident in our bats.”

Wallner said hitters must walk the fine line between being cool and collected and also ready to attack.

“It’s a constant battle to stay in the middle when there’s pressure, and recently, I’ve had to fight really hard to find that middle ground,” Wallner said. “I found it against Davenport and that’s when good things happen.”

Wallner said the team fought hard throughout the first game it lost to Davenport. 

Malone is in the bottom half of our conference and Davenport was a non-conference matchup, but despite that we didn’t choose to take anything lightly this weekend,” Wallner said.

“I think the season is going well. We’ve had a couple ups and downs along the way, but with such a young team, I feel that is a part of the learning experience,” Kapteyn said. “We have a couple of important conference games coming up, so I’m really excited to see how the team comes out to play.”

Hillsdale stands 22-15 overall on the season and 8-2 in the G-MAC. The team will play a doubleheader against Trevecca Nazarene, which is tied for second with Hillsdale in the G-MAC, April 14 in Nashville, Tennessee. The Chargers will play another away doubleheader against Kentucky Wesleyan April 15.