Hillsdale ends season with fall to Findlay

Junior Melanie Zampardo will return to the Hillsdale women’s tennis roster next year. Courtesy | Isabella Sheehan

The third-seeded Hillsdale women’s tennis team fell 4-1 to second-seeded Findlay in the semifinal round of the G-MAC Tournament April 21 in Owensboro, Kentucky.

Senior Canela Luna said the team anticipated a turnaround, but could not mount a comeback in the end.

“I think we are all disappointed in the outcome of the match,” Luna said. “We had hoped to make a comeback, but overall, we fell short. It was a sad end, especially since four of the 11 girls are seniors and will not get to compete again.”   

Findlay took control of the match at the start, winning two out of three doubles matches to claim the opening point. 

Hillsdale’s only singles win came from senior Sarah Hackman who defeated Findlay’s Elina Ivanova 6-3, 7-6, 10-8 in a battle for the first position. 

“Our incredible fifth-year senior, Sarah Hackman, played spectacularly and got revenge on Findlay’s No.1 player who Sarah had lost to in regular season,” sophomore Courtney Rittel said. “Our four graduating seniors will be dearly missed next season, but we are all very hopeful and excited for the things to come” 

Hillsdale’s loss in the G-MAC Tournament means that the Chargers finish the season with a 10-9 overall record. Despite the defeat, the Chargers made it to their fifth consecutive semifinal game, this time under coach Liam Fraboulet’s first year of leadership. 

The team will say goodbye to seniors Sarah Hackman, Canela Luna, Ellie Chawner, and Tatum Matthews.

“It was heartbreaking to lose to Findlay in the GMAC championship semifinal, but the team truly played amazing,” said Rittel. “Everyone left it all out on the court and played their hearts out. The team had a great season and I am so proud of this team.”