Chargers take two 5-2 wins versus weekend opponents, move to 5-1 in G-MAC

Senior Ellie Chawner won all of her matches in both singles and doubles this weekend. Courtesy | Regan Monnin

The Hillsdale women’s tennis team secured two 5-2 victories over Cedarville and Ashland April 7-8.  

Facing Cedarville Friday, No. 1 doubles senior Sarah Hackman and junior Melanie Zampardo won 6-1. Senior Ellie Chawner and sophomore Elizabeth McGivern followed this up with another 6-1 victory at No. 2 doubles.

At No. 3 doubles junior Julia Wagner and freshman Isabella Spinazze won 6-2.

“Going into the match I think we were expecting to win just based off of previous years and their record currently against teams we have already played,” senior Canela Luna said. “It might not have been the prettiest tennis because we were playing outside for the first time, but we took care of business.”

The Chargers went on to win four-of-six in singles and secure the victory over Cedarville.

In the No. 1 singles match, Sarah defeated Cedarville 6-1, 6-2. No. 2 singles was closer as Zampardo grabbed a 7-6, 6-2 win.

In the No. 3 spot, Luna defeated Calista Bobula in straight sets, winning 6-3, 6-2. McGivern also won in straight sets with a final score of 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 4 spot.

After losing to the Eagles in the first doubles match, Hillsdale responded with a 6-4 win from McGivern and Chawner in the No. 2 spot, and a 6-0 victory from freshman Megan Hackman and Luna in the No. 3 spot. 

“We won the doubles point in each match which put us in the lead right off the bat and had us going into singles with good energy,” McGivern said. 

At No. 1 singles, Sarah walked away with a 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 win. Luna swept 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3 singles, sophomore Courtney Rittel won 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5 singles, and Chawner won 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 6 spot.

Currently 8-7 overall and 5-1 in G-MAC play, the Chargers will be looking to build on this performance in their upcoming matchups as they prepare for their season finale against Northwood April 15, according to McGivern.  

“The team is on a really good winning streak as we approach the end of our season,” McGivern said, “We’re all really excited for our last conference match next weekend against Northwood.”

Depending on the Chargers’ success next Saturday, they could close out the season taking the third seed in the G-MAC tournament. The Chargers will also be honoring their senior players April 15 in celebration of Senior Day. These players include Sarah, Luna, Chawner, and senior Tatum Matthews. 

Sarah won G-MAC Player of the Year last year and has made first team All G-MAC two of her years at Hillsdale. Luna has earned G-MAC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week three times in her career. Chawner, who hails from West Yorkshire, England, won the President’s Scholar-Athlete Award last year. Matthews shut out her opponent in No. 6 singles in the Chargers’ victory over Ursuline in March. 

“We’ll be at home and it’s our senior day where we get to celebrate our four seniors who we all will miss so much,” McGivern said. “Anyone that’s around should come by and support so that our girls can have a great send-off.”