Chargers go 4-2 against three opponents

Junior Erin Kapteyn was named G-MAC Pitcher of the Week earlier this week. Courtesy | Isabella Sheehan

The Chargers won 3-1 in the nightcap against Trevecca after losing 2-0 in the first game April 14 in Nashville, Tennessee. They won 3-1 in the first game against Kentucky Wesleyan and they won 10-0 in the nightcap at Kentucky Wesleyan April 15. In the Northwood doubleheader April 19, the team lost 2-0 in the first game against and it won 5-0 in the second game.

“Trevecca is one of the top teams in the conference so splitting with them was good,” Gross said. “Both games were tight. All 14 innings of those games were pretty intense.”

Kapteyn won the team’s fourth G-MAC Pitcher of the Week award this season.

“That’s our third G-MAC Pitcher of the Week in a row,” Gross said. “Joni Russell had had it two weeks in a row and then Erin got it the third week.”

In the third inning of the Trevecca nightcap, freshman second baseman Taylor Lewis hit a home run as the first at-bat, putting the Chargers up 1-0.

Junior catcher McKenna Eichholz hit two doubles, finishing 2-for-3, and sophomore pitcher and utility player Emma Vis also hit a double. 

Kapteyn struck out seven batters, walked one, scattered four hits, and only allowed one late earned run.

In the first game against Kentucky Wesleyan, sophomore pitcher Joni Russell struck out 15 batters, walked one, and gave up five hits.

In the nightcap, Kapteyn pitched four shutout innings and struck out six batters. 

Freshman pitcher MacKenzi Maxson struck out one hitter and walked another in the final inning of the game. 

“We have a lot of grit and we’re all willing to do what it takes to win and play well against tough teams,” freshman pitcher MacKenzi Maxson said. “Very few games are a given in our conference and we’re determined to not let up on any team at any point. We’ve been very successful in conference play so far, and we all work extremely hard to keep playing at that level of success.” 

Hillsdale stands 26-17 overall on the season and 12-4 in the G-MAC. The Chargers will be on the road to play a doubleheader against the Lake Erie Storm April 22 and the Ursuline Arrows April 23.