Softball exits invitational 1-3 after facing top regional teams

The Chargers grabbed a win last weekend against the McKendree University Bearcats. Courtesy | James Gensterblum

The Hillsdale softball team won one game out of a four-game series in the University of Illinois-Springfield Invitational March 4-5, after facing top regional teams: the Quincy Hawks, the Illinois-Springfield Prairie Stars, and the McKendree Bearcats.

The Chargers lost two games by one run, but beat McKendree 5-2 in the third game.

“We would’ve loved to have come out of this weekend with a couple more wins, but we played pretty well,” head coach Kyle Gross said.

Despite an RBI single from senior first baseman Jenna Cantalupo that brought sophomore infielder and utility player Ashley Strick in, and an RBI double from junior middle infielder Hailey Holtman, the Chargers lost the first game 5-4 to Quincy. 

In the second game, sophomore pitcher Joni Russell pitched nine innings to Illinois Springfield, but the Chargers ultimately lost 3-2.

Holtman said she can see Vis being a leader among the pitching staff moving forward after her performance against McKendree in the third game.

“Emma Vis started that game and pitched amazingly,” junior catcher McKenna Eichholz said. “She did not walk a single batter which is very impressive considering the number of batters she faced.”

In the last game against Quincy, the Chargers lost 3-1 but freshman utility player Anna Chellman hit her first home run of the season. 

Gross said the team had some good performances this weekend but needed a few more runs in order to have more victories.

“A couple of our freshmen got their first career hits this weekend, which is a great accomplishment for them as well as a good sign for the team that our performance is beginning to ramp up all around,” Holtman said.

According to Holtman, the competition in the beginning of the season is intended to be tough, and the Chargers are pushed to play at a high level early in the season so they are prepared for conference and the battle for regional rankings. 

“The competition we are playing right now is very good,” Eichholz said. “They are all regional teams, and it’s important to play good around them so it can help our regional ranking.” 

Moving forward, Holtman said the team will work on bringing energy the entire game and having a true competitor’s mindset for each and every pitch.

“Considering the team’s performance this weekend, I think the team is quickly approaching the quality of play we’ve been striving for all along,” Holtman said. “The small pieces are beginning to come together and all we’re missing is a little spark to give us the edge we’re looking for over our opponents.” 

Over spring break, the Chargers will play 12 games in Florida, competing against teams including the Queens College Knights, the Florida Southern Water Moccasins, and the Molloy Lions. 

“Going to Florida is a great opportunity for us to keep playing as well as bond with each other,” Eichholz said. “We will be playing regional competition down there so these games are very important. We want to come out of Florida hot as we go into conference.”