Rising senior class officers announced

Rising senior class officers announced

Juniors Orlagh O’Donahue, Lily Maciejewski, and Mary Ruth Oster rising seniors Courtesy | Rosemary Surdyke

The class of 2024 learned the results of the senior class officer elections at the annual Legacy Board formal dinner.

Joseph Perez won president, Michael Bachmann vice president, Elizabeth Dickinson secretary, Grace Hearne treasurer, and Benjamin Heinrichs social chair. 

Bachmann said he is consistently impressed by the quality of students in the junior class.

“I am constantly astounded by my classmates’ integrity and talent and the friendship that we have fostered,” Bachmann said. “I just want to be able to give back to the community that I have been a part of for three years and make sure we all have an amazing senior year.”

He also expressed desires to plan and execute more senior class events.

“I’m hoping to increase the number and scale of the events we host for the senior class,” Bachmann said. “I’d like to add more events to the fall semester as well.” 

The senior class officers will begin brainstorming ideas for their commencement speaker this summer. 

Dickinson said she is excited to continue connecting with her class, both as a senior and serving as secretary. 

“My goal is to make sure everyone gets their opinion heard, whether in class events, opportunities, etc. Dickinson said. “Senior year can be a hectic time, but I want to make sure it’s delightfully memorable.”

Dickinson spoke to the unique character of her class, due to both their high school and college experiences being impacted by COVID-19. 

“We graduated high school in the height of a pandemic and entered college before the confusion had died down,” Dickinson said. “Despite these challenges, however, we’ve created some incredible community in the last three years, and I’m honored and excited to help us finish strong.”

In addition to the election results, senior Haley Strack announced the new members of the Legacy Board. 

The new board will consist of 12 members: Ella Denning, Caitie Dugan, Lucy Fernandes, Duggan Foley, Grace Gottwalt, Benjamin Heinrichs, Caleb Holm, Evalyn Homoelle, Gabrielle Lewis, Matt Muller, Mary Ruth Oster, and Tristan Wertanzl. 

The legacy board selects a senior class gift and fundraises on behalf of the class.

“Being invited to join the legacy board is a huge honor,” Denning said. “I’m looking forward to working with the alumni office because it’s a great reminder that I’m part of something far bigger than myself. I think Hillsdale does a great job of creating relationships that last long after graduation. Being able to stay connected through our community is something I’m very grateful for.”

Holm is currently on the Washington-Hillsdale Internship Program, so he wasn’t able to attend the dinner. Holm has served on the 1844 Society since his freshman year due to his belief in the mission of the college. 

“This new role on the Legacy Board will give me and my fellow board members a much more hands-on role in giving back to the college,” Holm said. “We must preserve what makes Hillsdale such a special place and at the same time mark the future that we hope to leave. It’s a tall task, but I am confident that the team will be up to it.”