Officers respond after dog kills sheep

Officers respond after dog kills sheep

Jacob Bruns and his family raise sheep. Courtesy | Facebook

Officers from the City of Hillsdale Police Department killed one dog and wounded another on Tuesday, after the dogs killed several sheep and then attacked them.

Police responded to a call about two vicious dogs at 130 State St. around 7:15 a.m., where they found the dogs had already attacked and killed several sheep belonging to a local family.

“I got a call early that morning from my friend on whose land the sheep were grazing at that time. He told me what happened, and I got to the scene as fast as I could and saw the carnage,” said Jacob Bruns, owner of the sheep and a student in the Van Andel Graduate School of Statesmanship.

Bruns said by the time he arrived, police officers were chasing the dogs.

“No people were hurt in the attack,” Bruns said. “The dogs did, however, behave aggressively toward my friend prior to my arrival. He had to defend himself and his daughters by hitting the dogs with a broom while they approached him threateningly.”

Bruns said the attack happened so fast that nobody knew what was happening until the dogs had already killed two sheep and injured a third sheep, along with a goat.

“The dogs killed two sheep, apparently hamstringing their back legs then tearing at their throats once immobilized,” Bruns said. “They also wounded another sheep and the goat in a similar but not immediately fatal manner. We began tending to the wounded animals and buried the dead sheep later that afternoon.”

Police responded, and then the dogs turned on the officers, according to a statement the City of Hillsdale released on Facebook.

“The dogs turned to face the officers and acted in an aggressive manner. Several children were also present who had to be escorted to safety by a neighbor,” according to the city.

Police killed one dog and wounded the other, according to the city’s statement. The wounded dog was captured and later euthanized.

Bruns said the vet told them the wounded sheep is expected to recover, but the goat has a less than 50% chance of survival and may have to be put down.

“The animals were both livestock and pets, which my children and other neighborhood children helped raise,” Bruns said.

The city said the police department has identified and made contact with the owner of the dogs and an investigation is ongoing.