Chargers go 1-for-4 in Tusculum Round Robin

Sophomore Joni Russell pitched a seven inning shutout against the Tusculum Pioneers.
Courtesy | James Gensterblum

The Hillsdale softball team came away with a 10-2 win over the Tusculum Pioneers and three losses after playing the Pioneers and the Lees-McRae Bobcats in the non-conference Tusculum Round Robin, Feb. 10-11.

In the Chargers’ sole win against the Pioneers, junior pitcher Erin Kapteyn struck out two opponents and only walked one batter in seven innings.

“The competition was competitive as both teams we played were solid in offense and defense,” freshman utility player Taylor Lewis said.

Despite sophomore pitcher Joni Russell pitching a seven inning shutout in the first game, the team lost 2-1 to the Pioneers. In the second and fourth games, the team lost to the Bobcats, 8-2 and 5-3 respectively.

Head coach Kyle Gross said the other teams’ pitching was really good, and the Chargers faced their aces each day.

“Our record coming away is not what we hoped for going down, but we did play well,” Gross said.

The team’s hitting came alive the second day, Gross said, as Lewis, sophomore infielder Ashley Strick, and junior catcher McKenna Eichholz each hit home runs.

The pitching staff was outstanding at times, but consistency is something to work on, Gross said.

“We are going to do some individual pitching sessions and work on some of the things that we need to develop to be more effective this season,” Gross said.

Kapteyn said it’s too early to determine how well the team will do this season.

“We have the talent and skill to be the top team in the G-MAC and go far in the postseason tournament, but how we do that is going to be based on our attitude and how we all come together as a team,” Kapteyn said.

Kapteyn said she is proud of the freshmen this weekend.

“We’re a very young team with not a lot of experience, and they all stepped up to the challenge,” Kapteyn said. “The transition from high school to DII college softball is difficult, and they made it look easy. I’m very excited to see how much they grow as people and as players as the season continues”

The playing conditions in Tennessee were warmer than Michigan, around 45-50 degrees, with some wind, Lewis said.

The team will travel down South again to Columbus, Georgia, for the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Leadoff Classic Feb. 24-26.