Netflix show gives viewer control

Netflix show gives viewer control

New Netflix show, “Kaleidoscope” can be watched in any order.
Courtesy | Unsplash

A click, a burst of colors, and the appropriate title of “Kaleidoscope” flashes on screen. Some episodes may start with a jaunty tune, others silence, but all are centered around a heist: a team of eight are going to try to rob $7 billion in bonds from three wealthy tycoons.

“Kaleidoscope” is Netflix’s most recent foray into interactive, non-linear storytelling. According to the introductory episode, “Black,” the series’ episodes can be watched in any order (excluding the finale, “White,” which must come last). With eight episodes total, and the stipulation that “White” remains the finale, there are 5,040 different ways to watch it. Without that stipulation, there are over 40,000 ways to watch it. Each episode is categorized by a color and a time frame in relation to the climax of the story, the heist itself. 

This is not the first time Netflix has experimented with alternative forms of storytelling. In 2018, it released the hit interactive “Black Mirror” episode, “Bandersnatch.” In that  case, the viewer got to make choices as the episode went along, resulting in multiple different storylines and endings. 

The show creators made a good choice by making the show about a heist. A group of con artists and criminals trying to steal a ridiculously large sum of money while, at the same time, dealing with each individual’s complex motives inherently invites tension and suspense. The nonlinear style of the show works well with the heist concept, ensuring the viewer appropriately reacts to twists or betrayals regardless of when they see any given episode. “White” remains a solid ending to the show, even if some of the twists are predictable.

Ray Vernon, who also goes by the alias Leo Pap, serves as the central narrator and protagonist. Of the ensemble cast, having him be the narrator added to the show. His smooth voice and ability to get emotion across through a voiceover are reminiscent of Morgan Freeman in “Shawshank Redemption,” and his backstory, motivations, and connections with the rest of the cast heighten the stakes well. 

There were some low points in the show, however. “Pink,” set six months after the heist, felt disjointed in relation to the rest of the show. The odd moments of humor within what was perhaps the bloodiest episode felt off, and after the shock of finding out what happens after it all goes down, it felt like something was missing. 

Additionally, some key characters were underdeveloped, and though the show did a good job of making sure the viewer knew who everyone was, information felt repetitive at times. Though the nonlinear narrative made the show interesting, it also held the show back in many ways, as creators had to use time to lay down exposition that the viewer may not need.

The biggest thing the show excelled in was the music and score. Different tracks were used to convey setting, character, and storyline, all without being heavy-handed. Anytime there was music, the show was enhanced, and it made the silences all the more impactful. With anything from the classic rock song “Sympathy for the Devil” to the soul song “Bottom Line,” there was not a bad choice of music throughout the whole show. It’s one of the things that makes “Kaleidoscope” more than just a gimmick, and made all the difference in the viewing experience. 

While “Pink” was the low point, “Violet” was the high. Set 26 years before the heist, it contains the backstory of both the main protagonist and antagonist. Its emotional highs and lows leave the viewer breathless, and its stakes and affects make the rest of the show so much better once it’s watched.

Overall, “Kaleidoscope” is worth at least one watch, and perhaps another if you’re unsatisfied with the first viewing order. Despite some bad writing and too much exposition, the show is an entertaining and wild ride, with enough twists to keep you on your feet. If nothing else, the score and soundtrack make this a good choice to put on in the background. 

If you don’t want to watch the show in Netflix’s given order, many say a chronological viewing leads to good results. Here is yet another recommended order to watch: Green, Yellow, Blue, Violet, Orange, Red, Pink, White.

Loading