Michigan GOP leaders write letter urging DeSantis to run for president in 2024

18 state legislators wrote DeSantis a letter asking him to run for president. Courtesy | Twitter

State Sen. Joseph Bellino and 17 other state GOP leaders signed a letter to Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in December urging him to run for president in 2024.

“Trump brings out so much hate from people within the party as well as from liberals,” Bellino said. “The moderate Democrats and Republicans are the ones that swing the elections. DeSantis is the man to get those votes that we need.”

State Rep. Bryan Posthumus, R-Kent County, wrote the letter. Last month, Posthumus traveled to Florida to meet with DeSantis and personally deliver the letter.

The signers of the letter, published on Detroit’s Local 4 News, said they believe DeSantis is the president the nation needs.
“Due to your strong leadership, moral compass, and life experience, we ask you to seek the presidential nomination of our Republican Party,” the letter said. “Should you become a candidate, we stand ready and willing to help you win Michigan in 2024.”

State Rep. Andrew Fink ’06, R-Hillsdale, agreed with Bellino’s assessment of DeSantis’s character.

“I did not sign on to the letter, but I am an admirer of Gov. DeSantis,” Fink said. “He’s spoken with a clear voice to defend traditional American values and made a strong stand for freedom in the face of the hysterical liberal media.”

According to Bellino, DeSantis would be a better candidate for the Republican party than former president Trump.

“He doesn’t have the baggage President Trump has,” Bellino said. “I loved President Trump as a president, and he did great things. But when it comes to having the baggage, well, let’s just say he should stay off Twitter.”

According to the letter, the signers see a difference between DeSantis’ leadership and that of Democratic Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.
“In clear contrast to our current governor, we have admired from afar the leadership you have shown,” the letter reads.

Bellino said the contrast between Whitmer and DeSantis is most clear in their responses to COVID-19 and could cause more independent voters to support Republicans in 2024.

“Whitmer weaponized state police and the health department to do things that were stupid,” Bellino said. “If those two were to run against each other, we’d have a great contrast as to what people did during COVID. That’d be wonderful for the people to vote on.”

Bellino also said Whitmer’s unwillingness to allow tax breaks shows poor leadership.

During her State of the State speech on Jan. 26, however, Whitmer announced a tax break for seniors.

“Repealing the retirement tax will make a huge difference for our seniors,” she said. “Seniors who served, saved, and did everything right deserve to keep more of what they earned. Let’s get this done.”

Bellino said he thinks Whitmer is not getting it done.

“We have $9 billion in the coffers right now and another $1.5 billion lying around in the rainy-day fund, and we’re not giving tax relief to seniors right away?” he said. “The governor’s plan for the pension tax is phased in over four years. That’s incredibly stupid. We have the money now, people are clamoring for tax relief, and inflation is going rampant.”

Bellino said he thinks America needs better leadership.

“We need someone to lead us,” he said. “We don’t have a leader right now as a president. We have an old, decrepit man that can barely put a sentence together. We need something different.”