The 1975 harps on nostalgia

The 1975 harps on nostalgia

The 1975’s fifth studio album “Being Funny In A Foreign Language” is a lesson in yearning. 

Composed of 11 tracks, The 1975 brings old listeners back to when they were first fans, most likely in formative years of their teenhood. Whether it’s chasing after a girl in tracks like “Happiness” or reigniting teenage rebellion in “Part of the Band,” The 1975 expresses the most vulnerable feelings associated with being young in a bold yet honest way. 

The album might be thematically standard for pop, but the lyricism adds the punch. “Being Funny in a Foreign Language” is a windy road, taking unexpected turns from classic love songs like “I’m In Love With You” to raw and dark musings in “Human Too.” Both of those songs were written utilizing lyrical repetition, and while they hone in on different human struggles, they both accomplish their goal through the same stylistic choice. 

In the song “Wintering,” the band reveals the complexities of growing up and coming home to what life once was. The song itself is fast-paced, rattling through different descriptions of people and their quirky qualities. Think of returning home for Christmas break: dinner with the extended family, running into old teachers at the grocery store, or socializing with acquaintances from grade school. The song embraces the home-grown feeling of familiarity paired with the unspoken distance between what life once was, and what it is now. 

The 1975 takes an extremely vulnerable approach in this album, releasing a lyrically diverse set list that exudes a chaotic relatability.  

In “Human Too,” lead singer Matt Healy sings, “You know that you’re human too / And darling, that’s what humans do.” 

This track feels like someone pleading to a friend, significant other, or even themselves to remember that they are not perfect – but they’re human. And beauty often is fueled by imperfection. 

Similar to an irrational plea with a friend or family member, “Human Too” repeats the chorus over and over again for a large portion of the three and a half minute song. The structure and lyrical choices are representative of an actual conversation with someone being irrational and not recognizing their worth. The repetitive nature of the piece reveals the recklessness associated with doubt and struggle. 

Some songs of “Being Funny in a Foreign Language” meet listeners in the darker spaces of vulnerability. Others embrace it in a different way: through unabashed love, authenticity, and risk taking. 

The 1975 has managed to make cliché cool again. “Being Funny in a Foreign Language” is an exploration of young people’s hearts and struggles, interwoven with nostalgia.