Founders Gym officially opens

Founders Gym officially opens

On Saturday, Nov. 5, students, faculty, and staff celebrated the grand opening of the Founders Gym on Union Street. 

Attendees received free T-shirts with the gym’s logo: an image of George Washington flexing.

Freshman Grady Stevenson said he decided to attend the grand opening of Founders Gym because he saw posters around campus.

“I like to run a lot, but when I strength train I enjoy coming to Founders Gym,” Stevens said. “I like the atmosphere and size.”

The gym features free weights, squat racks, some cardio machines, and a wrestling mat, according to sophomore and fitness initiative team member Justus Hume. The gym is open from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

“It offers another place to work out,” Hume said. “It allowed more fitness clubs to be built on campus.”

Several new clubs exercise in the Founders gym, including the Powerlifting Club and LIFT, or Ladies in Fitness Training, Hume said. 

According to Strength and Conditioning Specialist Chris Netley, Founders Gym decreases the business of the Roche Sports Complex.

“Before we put Founders Gym in, the biggest complaint we received was that there wasn’t enough space to train, especially during peak hours,” Netley said. “Founders Gym is providing the space and an opportunity for people to get into the gym.” 

This year, under the direction of Associate Dean of Men Jeffery “Chief” Rogers, the college began the ChargerFit initiative to help students incorporate fitness into their everyday lives, according to Hume.

“Chief and a couple of faculty members helped our team build the ChargerFit initiative and promote it through Founders Gym,” Hume said. “The vision was to change fitness on campus from one workout a week to more of a lifestyle.”

Faculty, staff, and students all use the additional space, according to Hume.

“One of my advisers told me he started working out at Founders Gym every day with other members,” Hume said. “I think it’s cool to see both students and faculty enjoying the gym.”