California is not as bad as people think

Arriving in Hillsdale my freshman year of college, I was expecting to answer lots of questions about my home state of California. Yes, I’d grown up seeing celebrities. Of course I celebrated New Year’s Eve at the beach. No, I’d never learned how to surf. So I was surprised when Hillsdale students spat out the word California like it left a bad taste in their mouth. 

Most Hillsdale students condemn the state because it isn’t Republican, it legalized marijuana, and they’ve heard horror stories about the streets of San Francisco. But almost none of their dislikes are based on evidence. Hillsdale students need to step off their high horses and acknowledge all the good the Golden State brings to the United States of America.

The main argument students have against California is the state’s affiliation with the Democratic Party. Students claim California is run by communists and suppresses freedom, which is simply ridiculous. According to party registration identification in 2020, six states have a higher ratio of Democrats to Republicans than California: Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Most students wouldn’t venture to say that Americans should stop going to Hawaii on vacation or condemn Boston for its repression of Republicans, yet these are the kind of attacks California faces every day. In fact, California has more registered Republicans than Alabama, so there is no lack of conservatives. The Golden State was home to one of the best Republican presidents: Ronald Reagan. He began his political career as the governor of California. 

Living in California for 19 years, I wasn’t even able to experience all of the grandeur it holds. But from post-finals beach trips to camping excursions in Joshua Tree National Park, I could not imagine growing up without access to these glorious, God-made beauties. 

California is the third largest state in the U.S., and arguably the most naturally diverse. Starting at the bottom of the west coast, visitors often forget they’re not vacationing on a tropical island. The white, soft sand, lapping ocean, and array of mouth-watering Mexican, Japanese, and Chinese food is enough to make Michiganders realize the error of their ways. San Diego, California, is one of the southernmost cities in the state, and was the location for the classic movie “Top Gun.” While walking around the island of Coronado, eating authentic gelato, tourists can witness naval planes landing at the local airbase. It will make you take off your hat and start singing the national anthem. 

California possesses nine national parks–the most of any state. From the lowest point in the continental U.S. in the deserts of Death Valley to the world’s tallest trees in the lush forests of Sequoia National Park, California is recognized by the National Parks Service for its natural beauty and record-breaking features. 

Moving north, you might be inclined to skip Los Angeles because you’ve heard stories of the uncontrollable homeless population and high crime, but I urge you to actually experience the city itself. Los Angeles is about 475 square miles, making it the largest city in the United States. Within it, you can hike up to the Hollywood sign, see the stars at the Griffith Observatory, and peruse paintings and sculptures at the Getty Museum. You can visit Disneyland, walk along the Santa Monica pier, and strut down Rodeo Drive. There are authentic, hole-in-the-wall restaurants at every turn, giving you the chance to try any number of cuisines for the first time.  

Because of its natural diversity, you could start your day surfing in Santa Cruz, drive two hours east, and finish your day night skiing in Lake Tahoe. California offers world-class hiking and backpacking in Yosemite on the John Muir trail, crystal lakes perfect for boating, and deserts made for dirt biking. 

Next time you think about discussing how California is the worst and should secede from the Union, think about the beauty and natural diversity it brings to the country, and stop categorizing things as right or wrong based on how you think they fit with your political views.