Women introduced to Hillsdale fitness options At Sun Up, Rise Up

George C. Roche Sports Complex
Courtesy | Facebook

Female students learned about the benefits of physical fitness and the wellness classes offered by the college at an event hosted on Saturday morning by Sun-Up, Rise-Up, a new program designed for women’s fitness.

The event began with a lecture from Assistant Professor of Classics Carl Young on the physical and mental benefits of strength training: higher bone density, increased muscle mass, and easier birth recovery. His lecture also included lessons in virtues.

“So why is strength training good for your soul?” Young asked. “For the Greeks and Romans, virtue wasn’t just something you read about in a book. It was something you went out and practiced. You have to find opportunities to challenge yourself and cultivate virtues through activities.”

To educate students about the availability of such activities on campus, Christopher Netley, lecturer in sports studies and Carl Young, assistant professor of classics, collaborated with the deans on event.

Following Young’s lecture, students dispersed into various groups for tours of the gyms as well as overviews of what times the gyms are open and when fitness classes occur. Many attendees expressed their appreciation of the tour.  

“I wanted to get into working out again, especially since I’m in college now. It was just nice to see around the facility and overcome the barrier of not knowing what to do,” freshman Abi Laiming recalled. 

Senior Sierra Dilworth agreed.

Tess Censoni confirmed the tour dispelled her fears regarding the availability of facilities, equipment, and classes.

“It’s definitely intimidating knowing you are going to work out somewhere and not know everyone there, so it’s really nice to have an introduction,” Censoni said.  

After the tour, women received free instruction in their choice of yoga, cycling, self defense, pilates, or powerlifting. Volunteers distributed protein packs, water, hats, and mugs as the students dispersed. 

Word of mouth remains the most effective method of communicating according to sophomore Tatum Linde, and the program hopes to see a spike in gym users as attendees of the class spread the word to their friends. 

Linde said the Athletic Department will soon launch a new website which will include detailed information regarding the classes, times, and activities happening at Hillsdale gyms. 

The ancient Greeks and Romans believed liberal arts could be broken into two parts, music and gymnastics, Young explained in his lecture. They viewed music as the compilation of academic interests, while gymnastics included the pursuit of all athletic endeavors. Both were essential to cultivating virtue, especially courage. 

“It takes courage to stand across the ring from another human being and wrestle them,” Young said. “It takes courage to deadlift 300 pounds because the first thing you’re thinking is that this will snap my spine.”