Vintage Ohio trains visit Hillsdale

Elyse Apel | Collegian

Two steam-powered passenger trains arrived in Hillsdale for the first time in more than 70 years as part of the Tri-State Scenic Steam Excursion last weekend.

The Indiana Northeastern Railroad Company, the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, the Little River Railroad, and the city of Hillsdale partnered on Aug. 27 and 28 to welcome passengers to downtown Hillsdale.

“The inaugural run of the Tri-State Scenic to Hillsdale went very well and we got to open an experience to thousands of new visitors to Hillsdale,” said Andrew Hershman, Indiana Northeastern Railroad marketing and sales employee.

The round-trip, all-day excursion departed from and returned to Edon, Ohio with a three-hour layover in Hillsdale.

Many community members turned out to see the trains. The city of Hillsdale coordinated with local businesses to serve train passengers, and volunteers helped organize the event. The Hillsdale County Farmers Market was open both Saturday and Sunday as an attraction. It is normally open only on Saturdays.

During the Hillsdale layovers, the Little River Railroad operated additional 25-minute train rides out of downtown Hillsdale for local residents and excursion passengers.

“We are pleased to have good partners to bring such an event to our community and look forward to the Oct. 1 trip, as well as future events and trips in the upcoming years,” Hershman said.

The trips sold out in less than three weeks, leading the Indiana Northeastern Railroad to add a third Hillsdale trip on Oct. 1., which sold out in less than five days.

“We’re no stranger to hosting popular events, but it’s incredibly gratifying to be able to bring the magic of vintage railroading to our own backyard like this on a consistent basis,” Kelly Lynch, vice president of the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, said. “We are providing the community with a new and exciting attraction, bringing in tourists and visitors from around the country, and sharing a unique piece of our shared culture and history and magic.”

Sam Fry, marketing and communications coordinator for the Hillsdale Board of Public Utilities, said Hillsdale was excited to be the destination for the trains.

“We believe our city has a lot to offer visitors,” Fry said. “We’re thankful for this opportunity to share our rich history and first-class amenities with rail passengers from the greater tri-state area.”