Greek welcome events unite all of campus

Each year as the semester begins, the seven Hillsdale Greek life chapters host events that welcome fresh faces and old friends to campus. Gatherings like the Sigma Chi Annual Welcome Bonfire, Kick off with Chi O, and Blue 42 give each house the chance to show off a dose of style and creativity that offers support to the Hillsdale culture. 

“We really want to make sure that we have a thriving campus community when it comes to events and things that are happening here,” Dean of Women Rebekah Dell said. “We want to give students a chance to meet one another and have healthy and engaging environments.” 

Dell said these events serve as a reminder of what unites the various pockets of campus life. Regardless of the different organizations students engage with, there is always something to hold in common. 

“Our Greek chapters aren’t looking for students to identify themselves with a sorority or fraternity above identifying themselves as Hillsdale College students,” Dell said. “The reality is that being Greek should be an added enhancement and not a distraction from what it means to be a Hillsdale student.”

President of Chi Omega Rho Gamma, Jaiden Frantz agreed, noting that these events create a great opportunity to bring together both the Greek and independent Hillsdale communities. 

“I feel like at times there can be a kind of divide between Greek life and independents,” Frantz said. “I think these events are really helpful with getting everyone together.” 

In addition to bridging this gap, the gatherings unite members of the various Greek houses, according to the President of Kappa Kappa Gamma Kappa chapter, Meghan Dudzic

“It’s not just independents that will come to the all campus events,” Dudzic said. “Kappa will have a bunch of Chi Os and a bunch of Pi Phis and a bunch of Delts and so people come who are part of different organizations to support.”

But beyond simply providing a social space, welcome events help bring depth to even the most general campus acquaintances. Mercedes Bryan, president of Pi Beta Phi Michigan Alpha, said fall events present a wonderful opportunity to become more meaningfully acquainted with fellow students whom one might see around campus but not know much about.

“Welcome events bring individuals greater exposure to one another, allowing for personal and tangible connections with groups that everyone on a small campus assumes to know,” Bryan said. “These events take assumptions a step further and put reality behind the people who make up our community with both Greek and independents alike.” 

Daniel Frandle, president of Sigma Chi Alpha Kappa chapter, said that in bringing students together, Greek houses are able to find ways to bless a broader range of communities as well. The Hillsdale Sigma Chi chapter uses some of its welcome events to support its national philanthropic efforts.