College adds dorm weight rooms, new gym

College adds dorm weight rooms, new gym

George C. Roche Sports Complex
Courtesy | Facebook

The college spent $100,000 on fitness equipment for four of its dorms this summer in addition to opening a new facility called the Founders Gym. 

“We were doing F3: faith, friendship, and fellowship,” Associate Dean of Men Jeffery Rogers said. “We just added one more F: fitness.”

During the previous school year, some students noted the lack of facility space in the George Roche Sports Complex when sports teams were using it, Rogers said

“Our kids wanted to work out, but the gyms were jammed up,” Dean of Men Aaron Petersen said. “But now the barriers have been removed.”

Some other obstacles to fitness included time limitations, lack of knowledge, and lack of confidence, Petersen said. This led the deans to consider adding gyms in the dorms. 

“We talked with our RAs about ways to encourage fitness that are fun but engaging,” he said. “If you go lifting, you get accountability and intensity. It works on a lot of different levels.”

The deans also formed a committee of students to help with the project, including sophomore Matthew Karten, Galloway Residence’s fitness leader. Karten said Rogers mentioned the opportunity to him over the summer.  

He and other student leaders received training on operating the fitness equipment and brainstormed about how to market the new facilities.

“My job is to inspire a community around fitness,” Karten said. 

“It has been very successful so far.”

Benzing, Olds, and McIntrye received gyms with squat racks. Dorms with higher ceilings like Galloway received a power rack, which includes a bench, rack, and a pull-up bar.

Karten said he has seen a lot of people use the dorm gym so far.

“I’ve had people pull me aside and ask for help,” he said.

Head resident assistant of Whitley Residence and senior Lewis DeGoffau said the new dorm weight rooms have been a valuable addition.

“The men of Whitley have enjoyed working out as a way to bond as men, as well as to break up study sessions with physical exertion,” DeGoffau said.

In addition to new dorm facilities, Founders Gym, located in the Stanton Foundation Center for American Classical Education, formerly Mauck Elementary School, will be open to all students, staff, and faculty. 

The facility houses sets of weights and medicine balls, and workout machines include Rogue Echo and Concept2 stationary training bikes, along with rowing machines, according to Rogers.

“It’s super nice equipment,” Karten said. “It’s quality and going to last a long time.”

While the facility is currently open weekdays from 6-9 a.m. and 3-6 p.m., Karten said there will be a formal grand opening on Saturday, Sept. 24. The event will feature food trucks catered by Metz Culinary Management, a nutritionist, and instructors from the college’s physical wellness dynamics courses to help teach students how to use the equipment.

Karten said the fitness initiative group is also planning ways to keep students returning to the gym.

“We will hand out punch cards,” Karten said. “If you come back to the gym 10 times, you get a customized blender bottle. We’ll also hand out magnets with the gym’s hours.”

The “Charger Fit” blender bottle will feature a George Washington graphic.

The college will offer clubs and classes at the facility outside the gym’s normal hours, Karten said.

Classes include a one-credit wrestling course led by Rogers, which will take place on Thursdays starting on Sept. 29, and a jiujitsu course that begins on Oct. 1.

To coincide with these changes on campus, the deans have altered their Man Up! freshman event, Rogers said. This year, freshmen men will endure fitness challenges on campus, including learning how to wrestle with Rogers at the Margot V. Biermann Athletic Center and an obstacle course at Hayden Park, followed by a pig roast.

McIntyre RA and member of the fitness initiative group, sophomore Joanna Leckband, said she hopes that by adding equipment to dorms and setting up the Founders Gym, students and faculty are encouraged to keep their bodies and minds healthy.

“The fitness push on campus supports everything we’re doing here,” Leckband said. “Taking care of our bodies allows us to use our minds for the tasks set before us.”