Class of 2026 breaks admissions records as the college’s most competitive class

Freshmen visit photo booth at Welcome Party

Hillsdale’s admission rate dropped to a record low of 20%, as the college welcomed its most competitive freshmen class in history.  

The class of 2026 totals 404 students, 11 fewer than last year’s largest ever freshmen class. The incoming class — 204 women and 200 men — represents 44 states, as well as five countries, according to preliminary statistics. 

The students have an average ACT score of 32 and a cumulative GPA of 3.94, Senior Director of Admissions Zachary Miller said. 

“Although we are drawing a larger, more competitive pool of applicants, we are still looking for the same fundamental things in the admissions process – students who have demonstrated both an ability and a desire to pursue a rigorous education rooted in the truths of the Western tradition, and who will be excellent classmates and learners,” Miller said. “We are looking for the right fits who will continue to make Hillsdale the special place that it is and always has been.”

Interest in Hillsdale has multiplied, making it vital that admissions employees evaluate each student, said Matthew Sauer, associate director of admissions. 

“Many students will say they are looking for a good education and a good community,” Sauer said. “When students give us answers like this, it becomes important for us to work with them on defining what those phrases mean and to make sure they know how Hillsdale defines them.”

Hillsdale accepts the students whom admissions counselors believe will benefit from Hillsdale and contribute to the community. 

“An ideal Hillsdale student has a love of learning, a desire to challenge themselves, a sense of gratitude for what they have been given, and a humility in expressing this gratitude,” Sauer said. 

Emma Verrigni, an incoming freshman from North Carolina, said she chose Hillsdale because of its core founding values. 

“What is special about Hillsdale is that its principles guide everything from its curriculum and academics, to its spiritual life and extracurriculars, even to its admissions process,” Verrigni said. 

Another incoming freshman, Peyton Hutchinson, from Cincinnati, Ohio, said the Hillsdale community made a big impression on him. 

“The people at Hillsdale were kind and friendly,” Hutchinson said. “This kindness brought Hillsdale to the top two on my college list.”

Hutchinson said he also admired the unique faith community on campus. 

“Hillsdale is a very unique place where you can engage deeply with people on your own accord,” Hutchinson said. “It’s a good place to have faith, conversations, and share the gospel.”