Freshman Lauren Smith (left) and freshman Anna Coln at the beginning of the SAB scav­enger hunt.
| Instagram

Stu­dents explored the ins-and-outs of the city of Hillsdale at the Student Activ­ities Board’s scav­enger hunt in downtown Hillsdale on Friday. Stu­dents who attended explored the city while making stops in par­tic­i­pating busi­nesses to com­plete chal­lenges and earn prizes. 

“The whole idea was we orga­nized with busi­nesses in town beforehand and had them offer a reward, dis­count, prize, or activity in their store,” sophomore SAB member Claire Henzel said. “For example, at Jilly Beans, we sub­si­dized a dollar off of drinks, at the flower shop they could get a free flower, and at the candy store they could get a free piece of candy.”

According to Henzel, SAB split the hunt into two paths, each with its own scav­enger hunt, so as to sep­arate the student groups taking part in the hunt.

“They had QR codes at each business that would lead the stu­dents to the next place they were sup­posed to go, and they’d follow that like a scav­enger hunt,” Henzel said. 

According to a sophomore SAB member Gabby Lewis, more than 50 stu­dents and 11 busi­nesses par­tic­i­pated in the event. 

“The weather was a little cold, but we still had a pretty good turnout,” Lewis said.

One of the stu­dents who par­tic­i­pated, freshman Josiah Jagoda, said he enjoyed the experience.

“It was so much fun, it was such a good time,” Jagoda said. “It was sig­nif­i­cantly more enter­taining than I thought it was going to be.”

Jagoda said his favorite part of the hunt was the stop at Toasted Mud, a paint-your-own pottery studio.

“Toasted Mud had little ceramics that you could paint, so I painted a little owl,” Jagoda said. “That was a blast, to just sit down and paint for like 30 minutes in the middle of your scav­enger hunt.”