Nikita Maines wins Athlete of the Year

Home Charger Track and Field Nikita Maines wins Athlete of the Year
Nikita Maines wins Athlete of the Year

Sophomore thrower Nikita Maines won Co-Field Athlete of the Year in the G-MAC and now holds the second best throw in the NCAA Division II for Outdoor track. Additionally, Freshman thrower Averi Parker won G-MAC Freshman of The Year. 

Continuing her streak from indoor season, sophomore Nikita Maines took third in shot put throwing 14.99 meters and breaking her previously held Hillsdale College record.

Maines said breaking the record was a good experience to try and do better and have fun while competing. 

“I was feeling kind of excited for another chance to compete with my friends and my teammates and I’m honestly just lucky to get some time,” Maines said. “Everyone doesn’t get to compete all the time so I was really grateful.”

Seven other Hillsdale College women’s track members were awarded All-G-MAC honors for the indoor track season. 

Head Coach Andrew Towne said he felt the intensity and focus of the team was good this week and he’s hoping to continue that for the rest of the season. 

“I think track is really unique within intercollegiate athletics in that we finish and conclude a championship season and two weeks later you start again,” Towne said. 

Coach Towne also said that the transition from indoor to outdoor shows which members can be counted on and members like freshman Eden Little brought out more force in the javelin event. 

“There’s a lot of inherent potential issues with that transition and  I think with what we did this week with a lot more intentionality and focus really both worked well with us to manage that transition well,” Towne said. 

The Chargers then competed at the Spartan Invitational in East Lansing on April 1st and April 2nd.

Starting off, sophomore Louisa Klaeserner took third in the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 14.72 seconds. 

Next, the Chargers dominated the 400 meter dash with freshman Zalonya Eby taking first with a time of 57.67 seconds and was followed by freshman Reese Dragovich in fourth with a time of 59.84 seconds. 

Carrying this energy into the 400 meter hurdles, sophomore Shura Ermakov led by taking first with a time of 1:02.94 minutes. Ermakov was followed by freshmen Judith Allison in fourth with a time of 1:05.94 minutes and Isabella Guitierrez in fifth at 1:06.79 minutes. 

In the hammer throw freshman Katie Wedly took fifth finishing with a distance of 50.57 meters. sophomore Emily Gerdin took second in the triple jump reaching a distance of 11,28 meters. 

Little controlled the javelin throw by taking first and throwing a distance of 42.23 meters.  

Maines also said she is looking to work on having fun and get better. Maines explained that she is working to take what she’s good at and continue to get better so she can reach the next level of competition. 

“Friday’s and Saturday’s competition was really good,” Maines said. “My teammate and I, Averi, were doing really well and there were some other people throwing further than us. But it was really nice to get out there and compete with them.”

Maines was followed by freshman Averi Parker in fourth with a distance of 14.68 meters. After this throw, Parker took the position of fourth in the NCAA Division II best throws for the outdoor season. 

Parker said she worked really hard this year and she is glad to be recognized as freshman of the year for her achievements. 

“Honestly I just wanted to go out and do the best that I could do,” Parker said. “ Especially after peaking for NCAAS, my body has been really tired.”

Parker said she was excited to PR this weekend because she didn’t expect to and was very surprised. 

“My biggest challenge this year has been learning that I come from a small town where I was the best in high school and now realizing that takes a lot of hard work to get where you want to be,” Parker said. “And it’s not gonna all show up the first year you throw.” 

Parker said for the next meet she is looking to put all her effort forth and hold nothing back. 

Alexie Day took fourth in the high jump reaching a height of 1.65 meters. 

Finally, in the pole vaulting event, sophomore Katie Clifford and freshman Morgan Iverson dominated as Clifford took second and Iverson third. Clifford finished with a height of 3.72 meters and Iverson vaulted 3.57 meters. 

The women’s track and field team will move on to compete at the Flames Invite in Cleveland, Tennessee on Friday and Saturday April 9 and 10.