One of the best ways to promote a Christian lifestyle is to encourage the cel­e­bration of important days in the Christian tra­dition, and Good Friday is one of those. Hillsdale College was founded by Chris­tians for the purpose of edu­cation, ful­filling the good life, and the Gospel. Therefore, the college admin­is­tration should con­sider how to promote the Christian lifestyle in its aca­demic calendar. 

The most obvious of these hol­idays is Christmas, when we receive a month-long break between semesters. This time allows stu­dents to rest, refocus, and be able to worship without the over­hanging sword of doom that is schoolwork. The same attention should be given to the Easter season.

Hillsdale gives its student body the Monday after Easter off for travel, but we only receive the second half of Good Friday itself off. Good Friday is the most solemn day of the year for Chris­tians. Remem­bering the death of Jesus on the cross and the impor­tance of that event is a pro­found and deeply important occasion to con­tem­plate. The unfor­tunate fact is that having classes meet and assign­ments due detracts from stu­dents’ abil­ities to give it proper rev­erence. If stu­dents do decide to give it their attention, they will be penalized for missing classes or assign­ments that morning.

The solution to this is to give the entire day of Good Friday off. 

Giving stu­dents Good Friday off would allow them to put away their books Thursday night and fully par­tic­ipate in the Easter cel­e­bration. By removing the necessity to attend class on Friday, the college would remove con­flicting loy­alties. Then, when classes resume on Tuesday, stu­dents can dive back into schoolwork, free of the con­straints that the Easter season places on them.

So, all in all, not only would giving stu­dents Good Friday off be helpful to the pursuit of a well-ordered soul, but it would also help ensure a well-ordered transcript.