The women of Kappa Kappa Gamma pose after winning bas­ketball.
Courtesy | Meghan Dudzic

After coming to Hillsdale as a transfer student from a large public uni­versity, I never would have pic­tured myself joining a sorority.

I believed the stereo­types that Greek life involved hazing, fake friend­ships, and low aca­demic stan­dards. Once I saw that Greek life at Hillsdale was vastly dif­ferent from the Greek system at my pre­vious school, I decided to go through formal recruitment. Being an only child, I have never expe­ri­enced the love of a sister. Since joining Chi Omega, I now have the over­whelming love of over 90 women, united under the beau­tiful guiding words of our symphony.

After joining Chi Omega, I heard about Greek Week and imme­di­ately became excited. I have always enjoyed watching sporting events, so going into Greek Week, I was excited to cheer my sisters on in what I expected to be a series of events full of prepa­ration, com­pe­tition, and sis­terhood. Cheering for our house made Greek Week unlike any other event I had attended before.

Since 1951, Hillsdale’s three soror­ities have gone head to head in a week full of com­pe­tition. Weeks in advance, the Pan­hel­lenic Council, made up of rep­re­sen­ta­tives from each sorority, agrees on the games and sets guide­lines for everyone to follow. 

This year, Kappa Kappa Gamma took its second-ever victory, with Chi Omega fol­lowing close behind, earning second by just two points, and Pi Beta Phi coming in third. Despite coming in third place and never having claimed victory in Greek Week, the women of Pi Beta Phi made them­selves known to the entire room by cheering loudly in support of their sisters. 

“We all set out to do certain things and watched them come to fruition that week. I was really proud to see a group cama­raderie between the houses and see how much we care about Greek orga­ni­za­tions,” junior and Chi Omega Pres­ident Jaiden Frantz said.

Kappa’s victory meant a lot to not just the current active women but also to the network of alumnae, junior and Pres­ident of Kappa Kappa Gamma Meghan Dudzic said.

“At the end when they announced that we won, I remember absolutely breaking down and sobbing, turning around and seeing the seniors crying and calling alumnae,” Dudzic said. “It brought together a lot of Kappas — not just actives but alumnae and everyone who has worked so hard since 2006.” 

The events this year included jump rope, bas­ketball, and dodgeball, as well as non-ath­letic events like “finish the lyric” and a fashion show. 

I saw how each event had its own energy. Some were tense and silent while others were buzzing with cheers and excitement. During jump rope, my sisters and I held our breath and counted along with our jumpers, while during bas­ketball, all of us screamed and cheered, leaving us with hoarse voices the next day.

Tra­di­tionally, Greek Week brings out the com­pet­itive nature in each of the houses, uniting them together under a common goal of claiming victory. 

For more than 70 years, Chi Omega has won Greek Week, besides 2006, when Kappa Kappa Gamma won the com­pe­tition. Despite com­peting against one another in the games, I still felt the unity between myself and my friends in other Greek houses. 

“It was really cool to see everyone hyping each other up, regardless of what house they were in,” Frantz said. “I think we were all really impressed by everyone’s hard work.”

This year saw some con­tro­versy that threatened to dis­mantle the unity and beauty that comes from the Greek Week tra­dition. After day two’s dodgeball com­pe­tition, users on the anonymous social media app Jodel began dis­cussing alle­ga­tions of dis­honesty during the game, even­tually spi­raling into per­sonal attacks. 

“It was really tough for us to deal with that, as any hate com­ments are tough to deal with,” Dudzic said. “Inside of the house, it helped us come together, espe­cially for the girls who had it really hard.”

Women in each house reached out to their friends in other houses to ensure they were doing alright, asking if there was any­thing they could do to support them. They posted pic­tures with their friends, assuring people that pan­hel­lenic rela­tions were still intact. 

“While there was a lot of tension, there were also a lot of people who were reaching out,” Dudzic said. 

While I cer­tainly felt the weight of the neg­a­tivity going into the last day, I noticed the effort that all of the houses put into their per­for­mances in the remaining games.

Greek Week at Hillsdale brings out a com­pet­itive spirit and love for each greek house on campus. In spite of the con­tro­versy, I found that Greek women at Hillsdale are still united together under the bonds of sis­terhood and the love of fra­ternal life. Greek Week still served its purpose of uniting sisters within and across houses, showing others our strong pan­hel­lenic bonds.