The Hillsdale College women’s tennis team suf­fered two losses this weekend, losing to Tiffin 4 – 0 and to Findlay 4 – 3. Freshman Melanie Zam­pardo said these are some of the most dif­ficult teams in the conference.

“I actually feel great about this weekend,” Zam­pardo said. “Although we didn’t come out on top this time, we still showed up and I think in a neutral location at the con­ference tour­nament we’ll have more success against these teams.”

On Sat­urday, the team traveled to Tiffin and was met with an unusual sit­u­ation: rather than playing on six courts, the team would be playing on only three courts. Senior Sarah Hackman said she thinks this neg­a­tively affected her per­for­mance. Hackman and Zam­pardo lost their doubles match 4 – 6, and Hackman lost her singles match 3 – 6, 5 – 7.

“I wasn’t playing my best that day,” Hackmann said. “Unfor­tu­nately, heart­break­ingly, I lost that set. I really needed to cut down on some of my errors. I struggled to adapt to the courts. It wasn’t the best facility and I think I let that mess with my head a little bit too much.”

Hackman said she felt more opti­mistic on Sunday playing against Findlay because there was more support in the stands.

“We had a lot of parents out and it was really nice to have that envi­ronment,” Hackman said. 

Findlay is one of the team’s main com­petitors, Hackman said. Despite losing her doubles match with Zam­pardo 5 – 7, Hackman pulled through in singles and won against Elina Ivanova 6 – 4, 6 – 4. 

“I was able to win my match and then all down the line there, everyone left it all out on the court,” Hackman said.

Zam­pardo also won her singles match, securing the victory with a tie-breaker. She beat Samantha Sweet 6 – 4, 4 – 6, 6 – 2.

“I closed the third set against Findlay, which kept us alive and allowed the last two matches to keep playing,” Zam­pardo said.

Senior Sophia Spinazze also took home a victory against Findlay, winning her singles match 6 – 0, 2 – 6, 7 – 6 (7 – 4). Spinazze and junior Canela Luna also defeated their oppo­nents in doubles, winning 6 – 3.

Zam­pardo said she hopes to use some of the lessons learned from this weekend in the fol­lowing weeks.

“I realized how useful it is just to keep it simple in doubles by putting a deep, steady ball in the court,” Zam­pardo said. “Hope­fully we are able to use this tactic this weekend and at conference.”

The Chargers are now fourth in the standings with a 3 – 2 record in G‑MAC, with a 7 – 8 record overall. Last year, the Chargers were the fourth seed in the G‑MAC Tour­nament and defeated Uni­versity of Findlay to win the G‑MAC Cham­pi­onship. Hillsdale needs one more victory to lock up a spot in the G‑MAC Tournament.

Next week, the team will play at Ursuline College on April 15, and at Walsh Uni­versity on April 16. 

“Everyone is still very excited for what’s to come in the next two weeks,” Hackman said.