The Oscars will never be the same

Home Culture The Oscars will never be the same
The Oscars will never be the same
The 2022 Academy Awards is one for the books.

The award for best performance at the 94th Academy Awards goes to Will Smith, for slapping Chris Rock in the face on Sunday night.

Many directors, actors, and artists made history at the Oscars this year—Apple TV+ won the first ever best picture for a streaming service with their film “CODA,” Billie Eilish became the youngest artist to win three awards for the same song (she won an Oscar, a Grammy, and a Golden Globe), but Smith’s act is all anybody is talking about. 

About halfway through the ceremony, Rock made a joke about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, that sent him spiraling. He suggested that she do a “G.I. Jane” sequel, referencing her nearly shaven head. The original role was played by a woman with a shaved head. 

Though Rock, an entertainer, was simply doing his job that night, this joke felt like low-hanging fruit. What Rock obviously didn’t know, or did know and he didn’t care, is that Pinkett Smith has alopecia areata, a hair-loss condition. She’s raised awareness about the autoimmune disorder in the past, but that didn’t stop Rock from making a crack.

Pinkett Smith seemed unamused by the jab, and maybe she didn’t care at all, but out of nowhere Smith waltzed up to the stage and smacked Rock across the face.

“Keep my wife’s name out your f—ing mouth,” he said after sitting back down. Rock could only respond with, “Wow, dude, it was a ‘G.I. Jane’ joke.” Smith repeated his words, to which Rock said, “I’m going to, OK?” 

After Smith and Rock’s violent interaction, Smith immediately won best actor for his portrayal of Richard Williams—father of Venus and Serena Williams—in “King Richard.”

Smith spoke about his time playing Williams, revealing a greater lesson he learned from the role. 

“Richard Williams was a fierce defender of his family,” Smith said. “I look like the crazy father, just like they said about Richard Williams. But love will make you do crazy things.” 

And then the tears began. Though his words seemed heartfelt, the speech made the crowd and viewers even more uncomfortable. Smith apologized to the Academy for his behavior, but didn’t say a word to Rock. 

Smith continued, saying that Denzel Washington had just told him, “At your highest moment, be careful, that’s when the devil comes for you.”

Washington’s words could be applied to both Smith and Rock, giving us two takeaways from the night. 

First, don’t let your jokes escalate. Rock deemed laughter worth the price of Pinkett Smith’s dignity, but that should never be the case. Humor can be good-natured, and everyone should be able to take a joke here or there. But our jokes shouldn’t be degrading, harsh, or completely insensitive. 

Second, family is something worth defending. Though Smith’s violence was out of hand, literally, and he could’ve accosted Rock in a different manner—or even spoken to him in private—it’s true that family is always worth the fight. Smith’s slap was unexpected and inappropriate, but his love of family was impressive. 

What’s most disturbing about this year’s ceremony is not Rock’s inappropriate joke or Smith’s uncalled for assault, but that Smith received no immediate retribution for his behavior. 

Currently, Smith’s actions are “under investigation” by the Academy, but everyone sat there like nothing happened. 

If a cameraman walked up and slapped Rock across the face, he would’ve been kicked out in an instant. But Smith is an elite Hollywood superstar, treated with the utmost respect and courtesy, no matter what he does. 

And we wonder why no one is watching any of the elitist Hollywood ceremonies anymore.