Student Union offers Disney+, ESPN, Hulu

Home News Student Union offers Disney+, ESPN, Hulu
Disney’s iconic castle. | PxHere

The Student Activities Board added a new feature to the Grewcock Student Union — Disney +, ESPN, and Hulu for student use, free of charge. 

On Thursday, SAB hosted a screening of “The Pirates of the Caribbean” to celebrate the new feature. 

One attendee, freshman Kate VanderWall, said she is excited about the new streaming services because she is not able to afford paying for a subscription herself.

“I definitely think people are going to use it more, as a lot of people are in the same situation where they or their families don’t have every service,” VanderWall said. 

Assistant Director of SAB Riley Arlinghaus said SAB felt this subscription was the best option for students to watch sports, movies, and TV shows.

“In the past, the AV department had provided ROKU sticks and Youtube TV. However, Roku removed support for Youtube TV, so we needed to find another option,” Arlinghaus said. Arlinghaus said SAB received permission from the business office to use SAB funds for a monthly subscription. Arlinghaus also explained that the remote for the TV will stay by the TV as long as it doesn’t go missing.

“I certainly love Disney + content, and it’s been fun to think about as an office. Trying to play programs like March Madness on the Union TV . . .  . I think it’s a fun opportunity for events with friends and I hope that lots of students get to use it and enjoy it,” Arlinghaus said.

Olds House Director and Residence Life Coordinator Rachel Marinko said SAB started working on the project around Christmas break of 2021. She then worked with the business office to organize the funds for the subscription. 

Marinko explained that in the past the union has had subscriptions such as cable and fire sticks, but there has not been a subscription for a while. Marinko said SAB didn’t initiate this last year because of COVID-19 and groups gathering in the TV lounge.

“We just wanted to bring it back because we think it’s a fun space for people to hang out,” Marinko said.

Marinko also said she is planning on having more movie nights and other planned gatherings in the TV lounge in the future.