Starbucks should come to Hillsdale

Home Opinion Starbucks should come to Hillsdale

“A tall Capitalism for…Christ!” The shout of misunderstood names coupled with sugary coffee fills the air and is a beloved feature of every Starbucks. A Starbucks should come to Hillsdale, adding to our menagerie of coffee shops in Hillsdale.

I love Hillsdale’s coffee shops, but competition breeds creativity. Rough Draft is the cool place you take your family to. Jilly Beans is an exceptionally creative place full of good vibes. Checker Records is a solid place to get drip coffee and lavender syrup. But those merits do not mean we deserve fewer options. To oppose Starbucks’ expansion from a desire to preserve our local standbys is close-minded. Washington, the birthplace of Starbucks, is not suffering for local coffee shops. Great coffee survives even while Starbucks persists.

Say it’s Christmas, and your aunt gives you a Starbucks card because she knows you’re a caffeine-addled college student. You will now no longer have to break the news that her heartfelt gift is useless. You can give her the satisfaction that you’ll benefit from her generosity. Go you. Starbucks is a nationally 

recognized chain that universally means coffee. It is the Kleenex or Xerox of bean water. The universal standard for all extended family who just know that their lovely Gen Z kid needs a socially acceptable stimulant to get through the semester should be welcomed. Your aunt in Texas does not know what Biggby Coffee is, but she can definitely support your addiction through Starbucks

Does Starbucks burn their beans? I don’t know. All I know is that I like their coffee. Starbucks is not some capitalist Kraken slinking across the United States seeking to destroy all local establishments. Starbucks just wants your money. It’s your choice to give it to them. If you want the local establishments to survive, support them. I know I will. I’ll just be throwing more of my money away to buy a chestnut praline latte every now and then.